[AD] New low cost ARM7 boards are released

: "J Jackson" skrev i meddelandet : news:dg9c6p$geq$ snipped-for-privacy@iss-nntp.leeds.ac.uk... : > In comp.sys.arm An Schwob in the USA wrote: : > : None of them. Use a PC if you want to run any Linux, that's a system : > : ready to face all the memory requirements of Linux. These devices are : > : stand alone microcontrollers with the memory on chip. The memory : > : requirements of Linux are downright a joke for embedded memory. : > : Linux = external memory = more complex board = higher price. : > : The money you think you save by using Linux you will spend big time in : > : additional hardware. : >

: > Ok I'll byte. : >

: > First off, I think you were right a few years ago, and now there multichip : > boards that support linux and are beginning to get fairly cheap. : >

: > The big question is how long before we get the Linux SOC? 3/5/8 years? ^^^ : > Full linux not uClinux. : >

: >

: Whats wrong with the current crop of ARM9s & PowerPCs?

Nothing but they systems on a chip

: Ethernet, USB Host, USB Client, LCD controllers, Serial ports, Audio ports : etc.

: -- : A. P. Richelieu

Reply to
J Jackson

: > Ok I'll byte. : >

: > First off, I think you were right a few years ago, and now there multichip : > boards that support linux and are beginning to get fairly cheap. : >

: > The big question is how long before we get the Linux SOC? 3/5/8 years? : > Full linux not uClinux. : >

: Been around for a while (forgot to include etrax based board in my other : post)

: Etrax from Axis

: More recent chips can run a default 2.6 linux kernel

: The ETRAX 100LX Multi Chip Module includes the ETRAX 100LX SoC plus 4 MB : Flash, 16 MB SDRAM, Ethernet Transceiver, etc. This chip is ideal for : Ethernet-connected Linux systems. :

:

: a.. 4 asynchronous serial ports : a.. 2 synchronous serial ports : a.. 2 USB ports Host 1.1 : a.. 2 Parallel ports : a.. 4 ATA (IDE) ports : a.. 2 Narrow SCSI ports (or 1 Wide)

Yep I know multichip solutions are around - I was wondering aloud how long before we have a single chip solution - a Linux PIC. That will potentially cause a step change in applications.

:

:
:

:

A nice small board

: Alex

Reply to
J Jackson

[...]

: : >

: : Whats wrong with the current crop of ARM9s & PowerPCs?

B*ll*cks, I'm always doing that....

: Nothing but they systems on a chip That should read : Nothing but they are NOT systems on a chip

: : Ethernet, USB Host, USB Client, LCD controllers, Serial ports, Audio ports : : etc.

: : -- : : A. P. Richelieu

Reply to
J Jackson

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am interested in ARM based boards, i have plans buying a kit,

please guide me the suitable kit.

also it must support LINUX OS.

Reply to
answers

Good heavens, this was a post from Tsvetan in Sep-2005, as best I can work out.

Suggest you check his site now, he has added many more boards during the last 3 years.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap