[AD] New low cost ARM7 boards are released

Dear All,

We have released eight new low cost ARM7 development boards:

SAM7-P64 - $59.95 development board with AT91SAM7S64

STR-P711 - $69.95 development board with STR711FR2T6 at

OKI-H5003 - $119.95 development board with ML67Q5003 at

LPC-P2148 - $74.95 development board with LPC2148 at

(limited stock will have regular stock in October)

ADuC-H7020 - $44.95 development board with ADuC7020 at

(limited stock will have regular stock in October)

ADuC-MT7020 - $79.95 development board with ADuC7020 at

(limited stock will have regular stock in October)

ADuC-IO7020 - $69.95 development board with ADuC7020 at

(limited stock will have regular stock in October)

TMS470-P256 - $79.95 development board with TMS470A256 at

Best regards Tsvetan Usunov Olimex Ltd

--
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/pcb)
PCB any volume assembly (http://www.olimex.com/pcb/protoa.html)

Unfortunately USB pull-up is connected to PA25, so this board will not work with Atmel's SAM-BA loader.

Reply to
Zbych

Hi,

You must be mistaking something as our peoples use SAM-BA to load programs in the internal Flash on this board without any problem

Best regards Tsvetan

Reply to
tusunov

Which interface do they use ? USB or serial ?

Reply to
Zbych

Hi, It could work. All IO pins all pulled-up during start-up by default so the USB pull-up transistor in this design is switched on. If SAMBA doesn't change PA25 default behaviour, there is a big chance it can work.

Marek

Reply to
macop

OK - so which ones can run uLinux???

Reply to
Anchor

Hi all I am looking for a development board with a about 10 (RS232/422/485)serial communication ports and 4 USB (other things not needed ) mostly with a ARM processor with Linux support. Can any one help in this regard? Thanks manohar

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Reply to
manohar

None of them. Use a PC if you want to run any Linux, that's a system ready to face all the memory requirements of Linux. These devices are stand alone microcontrollers with the memory on chip. The memory requirements of Linux are downright a joke for embedded memory. Linux = external memory = more complex board = higher price. The money you think you save by using Linux you will spend big time in additional hardware.

An Scwob

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

are the ADuC7020 going into production in October, just wondering as the analog devices web page still has them as samples only

Reply to
joep

In comp.sys.arm An Schwob in the USA wrote: : None of them. Use a PC if you want to run any Linux, that's a system : ready to face all the memory requirements of Linux. These devices are : stand alone microcontrollers with the memory on chip. The memory : requirements of Linux are downright a joke for embedded memory. : Linux = external memory = more complex board = higher price. : The money you think you save by using Linux you will spend big time in : additional hardware.

Ok I'll byte.

First off, I think you were right a few years ago, and now there multichip boards that support linux and are beginning to get fairly cheap.

The big question is how long before we get the Linux SOC? 3/5/8 years? Full linux not uClinux.

Reply to
J Jackson

I believe that the Sharp LH795xx series should run full Linux. It uses an ARM720 core with full MMU capability, on board ethernet, USB Master, SDRAM controller, Color LCD controller, touchscreen controller and more. Sharp has a Linux 2.6.12 port on their web site.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

;-) I think you will be right in a few years from now ;-)

There are ARM embedded devices with on-chip memory starting below $3 today. Most likely next year we will see the first 32-bit micros with embedded flash popping up below $2. My point is that the boards from Olimex are made for this kind of devices, all memory on chip. It is possible today to implement 2 MBytes of Flash and 8 MBytes of SRAM onto a chip in a 90 nm technology, the problem being that 90 nm Flash is not available for embedded Flash devices yet. Such a chip would still be around or bigger than 100 mm2. As flash always lags behind in the latest processes, to have a device as described above with reasonable die size (less than 50 mm2) it needs to be in 65 nm or smaller and with embedded Flash. My guess would be we are talking 5 years from now. Unfortunately OSs have the tendency to grow as well. Don't know whether Linux will fit in such a tight environment with 8 MB SRAM in 5 years? Getting to the point, if you don't need many of the drivers / device stacks for Linux, you REALLY should consider other Embedded operating systems ranging from uCOS-II, Nucleus, CMX, Thread-X to bigger ones like PSOS, VX-Works... The initial investment in the OS will see a return of invest fast in smaller memory, faster system, REAL support by the OS vendor...

btw. I am not with a OS company but a big friend of compact software and small microcontrollers

An Schwob

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

J Jackson: ARM720 have MMU so there will be no problem to run Linux (not uClinux), same is for all ARM9 boards, the only issue is to have at least 4MB of RAM to may do some useful work on it like running TCP-IP stack etc. There are plenty of such boards in $300 range which have power consumption of few Watts ( I still remember my old 486DX25Mhz PC with the big fan inside taking many Ampers to feed the processor core) now for instance Cirrus EP930x runs at 200Mhz and takes only 2W, so to use PC for running linux may be OK for desktop systems, but in many other applications and in terms of reliability ARM Linux SBC is better.

Joep: ADuC702x are coming ;) we have limited stock now but Analog will have them in regular production very soon.

Tsvetan

Reply to
tusunov

You miss an important pathway which is Stacked Die. That will reduce the timeframe significantly, - companies are already doing stacked die, for the large volume markets, and I believe Intel has Stacked die XScale now, and ST have a Stacked Die ARM with 16Mbit DRAM, IIRC ?

A purist might argue that stacked-die is not single chip, but from a PCB design viewpoint, it is.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Which ARM devices do you see for below $3? The lowest I find is about $4-5.

Thanks. H.

Whats wrong with the current crop of ARM9s & PowerPCs? Ethernet, USB Host, USB Client, LCD controllers, Serial ports, Audio ports etc.

--
A. P. Richelieu
Reply to

I was referring to the price announcements of Atmel and Philips, the SAM7S32 in the range of $3 for 10k pieces, the much more powerful LPC2131 in the range of $3.50, providing double the I/O capability of the SAM7 and being upgradeable in the same package up to 512k Flash The "real" SAM7S family starts with the SAM7S64

next year with their new core, although I don't know how much the core contributes to the cost any more.

An Schwob

H wrote:

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

The OS of the company I work for...

Also, I found that Linux is often used because a) Management heard it is free (which it is in terms of buying it, but surely they do not take into account the hours the developer doing

linux debugging instead of programming the actual application). b) Developer like to think it is something which looks good on their

vita.

Also, one argument often heard is the "open source": But how many people have the time and the knowledge to dig into a monster source like linux ?

Sorry if this sounds a bit frustrated :(

I do work for an OS company and was always a friend of compact software, but I fear these days are over. First on desktop now slowly but steady in the embedded.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

Been around for a while (forgot to include etrax based board in my other post)

Etrax from Axis

More recent chips can run a default 2.6 linux kernel

The ETRAX 100LX Multi Chip Module includes the ETRAX 100LX SoC plus 4 MB Flash, 16 MB SDRAM, Ethernet Transceiver, etc. This chip is ideal for Ethernet-connected Linux systems.

a.. 4 asynchronous serial ports a.. 2 synchronous serial ports a.. 2 USB ports Host 1.1 a.. 2 Parallel ports a.. 4 ATA (IDE) ports a.. 2 Narrow SCSI ports (or 1 Wide)

A nice small board

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

In comp.sys.arm An Schwob in the USA wrote: : J Jackson wrote: : > In comp.sys.arm An Schwob in the USA wrote: : > : None of them. Use a PC if you want to run any Linux, that's a system : > : ready to face all the memory requirements of Linux. These devices are : > : stand alone microcontrollers with the memory on chip. The memory : > : requirements of Linux are downright a joke for embedded memory. : > : Linux = external memory = more complex board = higher price. : > : The money you think you save by using Linux you will spend big time in : > : additional hardware. : >

: > Ok I'll byte. : >

: > First off, I think you were right a few years ago, and now there multichip : > boards that support linux and are beginning to get fairly cheap. : >

: > The big question is how long before we get the Linux SOC? 3/5/8 years? : > Full linux not uClinux.

: ;-) I think you will be right in a few years from now ;-)

Thanks for the full informative answer.

: There are ARM embedded devices with on-chip memory starting below $3 : today. Most likely next year we will see the first 32-bit micros with : embedded flash popping up below $2. My point is that the boards from : Olimex are made for this kind of devices, all memory on chip. It is : possible today to implement 2 MBytes of Flash and 8 MBytes of SRAM onto : a chip in a 90 nm technology, the problem being that 90 nm Flash is not : available for embedded Flash devices yet. Such a chip would still be : around or bigger than 100 mm2. As flash always lags behind in the : latest processes,

That I wasn't ware of - very interesting.

: .... to have a device as described above with reasonable : die size (less than 50 mm2) it needs to be in 65 nm or smaller and with : embedded Flash. My guess would be we are talking 5 years from now. : Unfortunately OSs have the tendency to grow as well. Don't know whether : Linux will fit in such a tight environment with 8 MB SRAM in 5 years?

So a single chip Linux in 5 years. It's a bit further out than I'd guessed. Ok can I tap you knowledge one more time, what about a 2 chip linux system - one chip being the flash? We must be only a year or two off?

: Getting to the point, if you don't need many of the drivers / device : stacks for Linux, you REALLY should consider other Embedded operating : systems ranging from uCOS-II, Nucleus, CMX, Thread-X to bigger ones : like PSOS, VX-Works... : The initial investment in the OS will see a return of invest fast in : smaller memory, faster system, REAL support by the OS vendor...

: btw. I am not with a OS company but a big friend of compact software : and small microcontrollers

commodity linux SOC plus the huge open source code repository. I've just got his gut feeling that it could be explosive in terms of what could be done in sohrt order.

Reply to
J Jackson