Accessible Intel ASM programming reference?

Is there something available via the Web which gives
detailed ASM syntax for Intel Pentium processors?

I haven't done ASM programming of Intel products for
the last 30 years and would like to whack out a short
ASM support function.

In particular, I want to know how to prescribe the
operands for the 64/32 versions of mul/div instruc-
tions.

Re: Accessible Intel ASM programming reference?

For what assembler?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  If I felt any more
                                  at               SOPHISTICATED I would DIE

He should have available to him at least gas and nasm.  He might
even have Microsofts MASM, but that is limited to running on DOS
and Windoze systems.

Re: Accessible Intel ASM programming reference?
masm: http://users.easystreet.com/jkirwan/new/pcdocs.html
nasm: http://nasm.sourceforge.net/wakka.php?wakka=HomePage
gnu as - djgpp environment : http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc /

Since you have not done any ASM programming for the last
30 years, I would suggest you to read the x86 Assembly Language FAQ:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/assembly-language/x86/general/part1/section-1.html

Please note that "Protected Mode Programming" is an important topic with
today's
operating systems.

Hope this help,

Jean Tabel

Re: Accessible Intel ASM programming reference?

There is a lot of good info here:
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/HLA/index.html

-jg

Re: Accessible Intel ASM programming reference?

As the others have said, exact asm syntax is assembler dependent.  The Intel
docs on the IA32 Pentium architecture can be found at
http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/documentation.htm

Scott

Re: Accessible Intel ASM programming reference?

Thanks to you and the others who replied.  I'll look
into the references given.

I have the three-volume IA32 architecture set.

I am trying to use whatever assembler is included with
the Watcom C suite.

I doubt the environment will be a problem for a four-
or five- instruction math function which is strictly
using the registers.

Site Timeline