Accessible Intel ASM programming reference?

Is there something available via the Web which gives detailed ASM syntax for Intel Pentium processors?

I haven't done ASM programming of Intel products for the last 30 years and would like to whack out a short ASM support function.

In particular, I want to know how to prescribe the operands for the 64/32 versions of mul/div instruc- tions.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

For what assembler?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  If I felt any more
                                  at               SOPHISTICATED I would DIE

masm:

nasm:
gnu as - djgpp environment :

Since you have not done any ASM programming for the last

30 years, I would suggest you to read the x86 Assembly Language FAQ:

Please note that "Protected Mode Programming" is an important topic with today's operating systems.

Hope this help,

Jean Tabel

Reply to
Jean Tabel

He should have available to him at least gas and nasm. He might even have Microsofts MASM, but that is limited to running on DOS and Windoze systems.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

There is a lot of good info here:

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

As the others have said, exact asm syntax is assembler dependent. The Intel docs on the IA32 Pentium architecture can be found at

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

Thanks to you and the others who replied. I'll look into the references given.

I have the three-volume IA32 architecture set.

I am trying to use whatever assembler is included with the Watcom C suite.

I doubt the environment will be a problem for a four- or five- instruction math function which is strictly using the registers.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene