A round shaped LCD screen - Page 2

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Portholes or potholes?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Re: A round shaped LCD screen

When you click on the details - you get the expected answer.  I was looking
for the date on the page itself - they really ought to have put it there in
small text at the bottom.

Graham

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

What if you were to use a rectangular one with a mask that only show a
round part of it?
Then your driving circuit only "draws" to the visible part and you're
sorted. That shouldn't be too hard to do, I would think.

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

15 inch Radius ? 30 inches diameter ? Thats pretty big ! AFAIK screens that
size get hand made at almost infinite cost.

What is the application ? What is your target price ? Is a larger pixel size
acceptable (say 1.5mm instead of 0.3mm) ?

For a one of, consider back projection

regards,
Dave

 Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
                http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

15 inch Radius ? 30 inches diameter ? Thats pretty big ! AFAIK screens that
size get hand made at almost infinite cost.

What is the application ? What is your target price ? Is a larger pixel size
acceptable (say 1.5mm instead of 0.3mm) ?

For a one of, consider back projection

regards,
Dave

 Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
                http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

They're made rectangular (a) to make efficient use of the expensive
optically flat glass (b) 'cos glass doesn't break into circles.

Graham.

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Glass breaks perfectly into circles. How do you think portholes are made?

Meindert

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

What shape are the bits left over ?

That's important to LCD manufacture. See (a).

Graham

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Still doesn't explain b)
There are lots of examples of circular glass around me, flashlight lens,
vanity mirror, telescope, old radio bezel, spirit level. Rectangular LCDs
are much more convenient and efficient to make and connect.
I know some guys on another newsgroup who might like a small circular LCD to
replace a 6E5 but I suspect it will take a few more years to become cost
effective.

Peter

Re: A round shaped LCD screen
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:50:16 +0100, the renowned "Peter"

It's fairly common to break the corners off a monochrome LCD to allow
it to fit within a circular or elliptical outline. Cheaper than a true
circular outline.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: A round shaped LCD screen

I find that rather hard to believe.  If you break the corners off, the
LC will leak out of the D.

Re: A round shaped LCD screen
On 21 Apr 2005 12:17:55 -0700, the renowned Eric Smith

Yeah, okay, they break the corners off the glass *before* they
assemble and seal it.

It's was just intended as a description of the (irregular octagon)
shape of the LCD, not a description of the manufacturing process, wot?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: A round shaped LCD screen
LCD screen', on Thu, 21 Apr 2005:

.... and it's not particularly pleasant stuff. Luckily, there is not
much of it.