A round shaped LCD screen

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew if and where i could get round lcd
screens manufactured or possibly the price range if i could get
someone to manufacture it for me. I've been doing some research and
all the manufacturers seem to only build rectangular ones, but yet
i've seen at certain shows / awards that they sometimes use lcd/plasma
screens that are of a strange shape. I am looking for screens with a
radius of 15 inches.
Thanx

Re: A round shaped LCD screen
Taku,

E-mail me directly with some particulars and I'll check with some of the
suppliers I use regularly.

Quantity?
Technology: black and white/color, character/bitmap, etc.

I don't think they make them round but I'll ask the experts.

John Musselman

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

http://www.geeks.com/pix/wootlp.htm

What use they'd be is anyone's guess.

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

I think this explains the primary use:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ROUNDLCD

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! It's some people
                                  at               inside the wall! This is

<sheepish grin>

D'oh! I've been trolled by a website.

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

   There used to be round monitors in the early days of TV.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Re: A round shaped LCD screen
I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael A. Terrell
Wed, 20 Apr 2005:

English Electric 16 inch round tubes, with metal flares, all at 16 kV or
so! They even put some in up-market receivers.
Re: A round shaped LCD screen
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:43:42 +0100, John Woodgate

Raytheon made them on this side of the pond.

I used to throw the dead ones over the side of the hill to avoid
debris... BOOM... several seconds later... CLANG ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

With kinda rectangular bezels.

Graham

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

...and the early days of oscilloscopes!

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Hmmmmm - I feel a post to abse coming on !

Graham

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

:-)

I though perhaps the OP was thinking of an LCD with polar co-ordinates.

For something like a sonar scanner for boats.

Interesting technical challenge...

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Actually, 3" round LCDs would be a great innovation.

Aircraft instruments are 3" round, and it is impossible to
find them to make compatible instruments that fit in those holes.
The ones that are available usually are square, and require the
panel be modified.

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

I expect the aircraft market could bear the cost too.

Graham

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Oh yeah, the aviation market is booming.

Not.

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Apparently, nobody's paying attention to the little datum that they go
in square holes. It's not that hard to draw round things on a rectangular
screen, you know.

Cheers!
Rich

Re: A round shaped LCD screen
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:07:02 GMT, "Kryten"

Back in the early days of coin-op video games, when we first had x-y
monitors (remember Asteroids?), we dreamed of having new display
hardware based on r-theta displays. So you could rotate the screen
(change theta) and then scale it by changing r.

Those whining hardware guys said they could not do it (circa 1978)

Sorry, talk about off topic!

There is no "x" in my email address.

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Though that's exactly what early radar systems did.

They uses a round tube, with deflection on one axis, the deflection
assembly was motorized to spin around the tube.  Thus the motor
position gives theta, and the electromagnetic deflection gives r.

Still, for most arcade games, having a polar coordinate display
would have caused more trouble than it solved.  Even in games
where the majority of the action takes place in a polar coordinate
space, lots of things would have to be transformed since you often
need to be able to rotate objects around an origin independent of
the center of the global coordinate system.  Also, displaying
the score and other text messages would have similar problems,
unless you actually wanted them displayed "wrapped around a
circle".

Eric

Re: A round shaped LCD screen

Yes, that would have been confusing.

What we were talking about was being able to have multiple nested
objects r-theta transformed. This could not have been done with just
display hardware.

This is like having a 3d object that is transformed relative to a
parent object. So the universe (the display) would probably not be
rotated or scaled, but individual items would be. So for example you
could rotate and scale a car and its wheels would also rotate (and be
scaled to match the car size) within the new frame of reference. This
was speculated on way before a semi-true semi-real-time 3d
transformation was possible.

Regards ~Steve
There is no "x" in my email address.

Re: A round shaped LCD screen
JW said

Might be great for testing the upcoming beta version of
Microsoft Portholes XP ....

Casey

Site Timeline