A free version of Labview

Release date is... November or early next year.

But the LINX toolkit in interesting for the Raspberry PI

Martin Riddle

That's interesting. I had missed this until now.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Blech. Now there'll be no escaping it. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What are you talking about???

This is a discussion group. You don't think people should discuss things?

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Where on earth did you get that idea? I just despise LabView, and now it'll be everywhere.

"Ah, LabView: spaghetti code that even _looks_ like spaghetti."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Lol, I hardly thing this is the beginning of the total desctruction of engineering as we know it. What do you dislike about it?

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Release date is... November or early next year.

See the quote. LabView code is at least as hard to debug as a spreadsheet--easy for trivial cases, but very difficult in complicated ones.

Plus a lot of stuff goes on at the driver level that you don't have access to from user code. For instance, last time I checked there was no way to find out from user code whether your multichannel MUXed ADC card was sampling all the channels as close together as possible, or helpfully spacing them out evenly within the sample period.

That matters a lot in instruments where you're doing significant amounts of signal processing.

I wouldn't care, except that some customers really want to use LabView with our stuff, and supporting that is painful as well as unproductive.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So you are saying your customers want you to work in LabView? Isn't it eas y enough to say you don't do that??? When I get calls asking me to bid on an electrical wiring job I don't have any trouble telling them I don't do t hat. Actually, next time I think I'm going to tell them I'd love to bid on it as soon as we get our license back after the big fire. The fire marsha l never said they could prove it was our fault. That company should have h ad better insurance!!!

--
  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Release date is... November or early next year.

Of course. But since we're moving to an IP licensing + NRE model, it's economically important to make it easy for the customer to use our stuff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs