A comparison of C implementations for the STM8

The STM8 is an 8-bit microcontroller architecture targeted by varioues C implementations. Du to the upcoming SDCC 3.6.0 release, I tried to do a quick comparison of them:

Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

Philipp

Reply to
Philipp Klaus Krause

Thanks for the work. It's interesting, disappointing, and good to know that none of them support double-precision floating point. Supporting it shouldn't be a huge increment in the effort of writing the tools, and even on an 8-bitter there's sometimes reason to go ahead and use the processing time it takes to do double-precision math.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

As only a *cursory* read (shopping day, today):

- any extensions (nonstandard) that a developer might find useful

- add some whitespace after the final table (e.g., a footer)

- opine as to why speed/size tradeoffs seem insignificant

- yellow on white is kinda brutal on the eyes (red, green, blue?)

- quality of libraries delivered with each

- "invent" some bit-oriented benchmarks (toggling an "I/O", etc.)

- library source availability (rebuild for different optimization)

- why *you* choose to use SDCC ("honestly")

I'll try to give it a more thorough review after my wallet has been emptied...

Reply to
Don Y

I used the colors that the compiler vendors use for themselves. IAR is yellow. I'll try using a darker yellow first, but if that doesn't fix the issue I might just choose whatever other color for the IAR bars.

Philipp

Reply to
Philipp Klaus Krause