$99 XMOS Dev kit

XMOS has just announced a $99 dev kit for their XC-1 device. I've put my name down for one:

I used to work with transputers, it's nice to see that the concept has been resurrected.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for posting this. I may try then out too time permitting.

The original concept was awesome. Hope David May et al have the business model right this time. For one thing the new devices seem far more accessible. A four-core CPU, development board and software for $99 is a good price.

I have read some of the documentation. The new device looks similar to the old one but there are some intriguing differences.

Did you not want to post on comp.sys.transputer?

-- James

Reply to
James Harris

This time, they seem to offer free development enviroment and core seems to me more main-stream like, which ease fast learning.

(Also I guess a lot of people will struggle with the threading :-)

I'm keen on to port my company's RTOS :-)

Yes, no negative addressess (AFAICS).

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

You have to buy the tools, but you can use them on-line for free. I've tried the system and it works fairly well. They are working on an open source set of tools.

I've booked for the London seminar next month, participants get a dev kit. I might as well get the other one I've reserved, as well. They are good value.

I have a contact at XMOS, he told me yesterday that they already have some design wins, even though the chip isn't in full production yet. It's a very friendly company, like Inmos used to be.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Looks cool, but I tried to look at the tutorial and it wanted me to register first. :-( Ok, so I tried to register and the page had no button to press to submit the form. :-( The tutorial page I could see was only visible when I selected all the text on the page with CTRL-A, else it looked like an empty page. I'm using IE6 and maybe that's part of the problem; XMOS needs to fix it though.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

The website doesn't make this very clear - have they said what the price is ? I'm very wary of web based tools as problems out of your control (net connection, their server) can leave you stranded...

Reply to
Mike Harrison

ter

press

visible

an

eeds

They are having lots of problems with their web site. I was able to register OK with Firefox, but didn't get my password, although the message said it was being sent. I used their Support facility, and they emailed the password manually to me.

They now have schematics and design files for the XC-1 board available:

Leon

Leon

Reply to
Leon

ister

to press

y visible

ke an

needs

I just had an email from my contact at XMOS and mentioned your problem.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Looks like it's working better now. I was able to look at the tutorials online. Pretty interesting, I may get a dev board and play around with it this winter. Thanks for pointing these out. :-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

it

I've just seen on the Xlinkers forum that they will start shipping the XC-1 kits next week. The forum isn't very active yet, but it's worth joining:

Leon

Reply to
Leon

On 1 Oct, 15:29, Leon wrote: ...

Did you get any confirmation of booking? I too have booked for one of the London seminars but have nothing in writing to confirm that a place has been allocated.

-- James

Reply to
James Harris

No, I didn't either. I had a problem with their payment system and managed to make two bookings. I phoned them and they confirmed that they'd received them and cancelled one of them for me.

You could try phoning them if you aren't sure.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

OK, thanks. I have a place verbal confirmed.

-- James

Reply to
James Harris