8051 development tools

Hello, I want to get started on an 8051 project. I already know C. What I am looking for is an 8051 eval board that comes with a C compiler, flash burner, code debugger, etc... In other words, I want to develop some basic, generic

8051 code in C, compile, link, download it into eval board and then debug/run it. I do not need any of the new flavors of the 8051. Any ideas where I can pick one up and which one I should buy?

Thanks,

Stu.

Reply to
Stu Cazzo

In article , Gregg C Levine writes

The SDCC is not really stable yet. In fact one person on this NG could only get to compile code without crashing if he turned off the optimisation.

It is probably at best a decade behind modern compiler technology (I have been informed by some commercial compiler writers)

Look at the size of the produced binary (both code and data space) the speed of execution. Do the libraries and header files conform to known standards? especially the maths libraries?

Just because it compiles how do you *prove* that it has produced the correct assembly?

What other tools does it work with (ie what standards does it use?) EG does the 8051 version produce OMF and Extended OMF?

Like all "free" compilers where you get the source *YOU* start to become liable for the errors the tools have.

In a commercial compiler where you only get the binary and the compiler has a history you can shift the liability on the compiler vendor or at least not be saddled with is yourself. Ie Due Diligence etc.

With a compiler where you have the source YOU get to be responsible for ensuring that it is correct and error free.

For example 99.9% of commercial compiler will have been run through the industry standard test suites. Has the SDCC?

Free tools mean you don't pay an up front cost to the supplier. Other costs could be far higher than a compiler you pay for.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Sean Chen writes

This is the same for virtually any Flash based 8051. All you usually need is a serial lead and the free SW from the silicon vendor.

The advantage is that this is usually built in to the boot lioader onthe chip.

USB of course requires a lot more (complex) software. Also if you are downloading/debugging via the USB can you use it as part of the design?

It is not much different with ISP or Serial, With the amounts in question it is hardly worth mentioning.

YEs.. but the supply is limited and not 5V (USB can be 4.3)

That is the same for about 580 out of the 600 odd 51 types out there...

I think that USB is a very large overhead compared to isp for programming the flash. Also the ISP systems are built in to the boot rom and don't take up space.