8051 Compact Flash Interface

I am trying to read/write data at any sector of CF with a 8051 in
Language.
I don't understand very well how CF works and i need to complete m
project very quickly.
I would like to know if there is anybody that could give some help (
code, for example) to communicate Compact Flash with 8051 at True ID
Mode.
Thank you very much for all attention and help

Best Regards,

Tiago Meireles

www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: 8051 Compact Flash Interface

Why True IDE Mode? You'd need 16-bit addressing interface... 8051 is
8-bit so memory mode would be a lot simpler.

Anyways, this application note could help you for the IDE Mode part:
http://www.sandisk.com/pdf/oem/AppNote80C51FlashATAv1.0.pdf

  - Jan

Re: 8051 Compact Flash Interface

(data interface)

  - Jan

Re: 8051 Compact Flash Interface

There is a command that puts the card (sandisk anyway) in 8-bit mode, it is
Feature register = 0x01 then Command Register = 0xEF.

Ross

Re: 8051 Compact Flash Interface
There's an Application full 80c51 asm example and circuit at www.sst.com who
make Flash memory.

They used to make compact flash also but sold the division off.

JG

Re: 8051 Compact Flash Interface
who

I am sorry about my ignorance, but i can't find what you told me ... coul
you give me the link to download that application?

By the way, True IDE Mode isn't the only one that support FAT Files, fo
example? What are the main differences between I/O, Memmory and True ID
Mode?

Thank you very much, once again

Tiago Meireles (Portugal)

www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: 8051 Compact Flash Interface
You can forget about the circuit in that app note. The parts are obsolete.
We can find no datasheets on the parts and calls to the company/reps are met
with 'we/they must not make that part anymore'.

On a different note, I've been looking for source code to implement FATxx on
805x with no luck. Seems like a lot of folks think there is nothing to it---
perhaps they are right because they've done it before. My experience though
has not been so positive. The FAT libs provided by Xilinx had serious flaws
(which I think are now resolved by the way), but I'm thinking to myself "if
Xilinx SW engineers had trouble writing this code, I'm certainly not cocky
enough to think I could do it easily or quickly"....

If anyone know where I can get either free or commercial FATxx coe for 805x,
please post a link or code :)

Bo