8051 C Compiler Recommendation

I'm finally moving up from assembler. Which compiler do you vote for? I can
probably get away with the Raisonance Lite version but should I shell out
the $'s & go for Keil or something else?

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation
I'm finally moving up from assembler. Which compiler do you vote for? I can
probably get away with the Raisonance Lite version but should I shell out
the $'s & go for Keil or something else?

--------
Arthur Richards

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation
Take a look here....I use they're compilers for 8051 and pic almost
daily....I also sell them, so I'm only a little biased :->.  They do have
demo's on their site.  You can try them out and see how it works for you.

www.htsoft.com

Regards,

Scott

Copeland Electronics, Inc.
www.copelandelectronics.com

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation

I hope your software is better than your English grammar.

'their' compilers - possessive

'demos - plural of demo not possesive as implied by the apostrophe

'try them' plural - and 'see how it works' - singular

Ian

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation

That is a sentence fragment, and is incorrectly punctuated.  If it
were C it would not compile, would it.

That is also a sentence fragment, and seems to have a hanging apostrophe
as well as no correct punctuation.  It wouldn't compile either, would
it?

"Them" is indeed plural, but there is potentially only one trial,
so if you take the meaning from the structure of the sentence,
rather than your expectation of the meaning of the sentence, it's
gramatically pretty well correct, albeit clumsy.

If you're going to throw stones it's really not a good idea to
do it from a glass house, is it?

--
Nobby

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation

Check out irony in the dictionary.

Check oit irony again.

No it is clearly grammatically incorrect. It should be 'try them and see how
they work'.

Sound advice, so why did you do it?

All such trivia aside, I am not impressed by someone selling software who
makes several basic grammatical mistakes in a short piece of plain English.

Ian

Ian

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation
Thank you for reminding me why I don't participate in groups.

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation
ssc@remove_me.copelandelectronics.com wrote in news:xxese.40822$JX5.22482
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

killfiles work wonders if someone becomes a nuisance.

--
Richard

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation

There is a way to get the most out of newsgroups that works well,
and another way that has never worked no matter how many people
have tried it.

What works:  Post articles on the topic you wish to see discussed,
and participate in the resulting discussion.  Use killfiles and
filters so that you don't see the articles/posters that you dislike.
If you don't know how to use a killfile, use good old fashioned
discipline and don't read the articles that you dislike.  Never,
ever respond to articles that you dislike.

What doesn't work: Respond to articles that you dislike, complain
about articles that you dislike, complain about posters that you
dislike, complain about how terrible everyone else is for not posting
what you want them to post. Talk about how to respond to articles
that you dislike.  Make the articles that you dislike the center of
attention and the main topic of discussion.

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation
can

I've used the Raisonance Lite 51 toolchain for some years, after using a
very old Keil/Frankling copy. It produces good compact code as far as I can
tell. Support os also good.

Meindert

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation

Keil is very good but a little $$$$ for a hobbyist.
they have a 2K limited eval version for free if you want to poke at it.

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation

Some of the silicon manufactures kits have a 4K limited version

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation

can
look at this one : http://www.wickenhaeuser.com /

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation
Try this, I haven't, but it might be worth it for hobbyist.
http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

Regards
Sukrit

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation
can

I would vote for Keil...

regards

Dejan

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation
Arthur,

Keil is the absolute market leader for a reason!  You can by a MCB900
board from Keil, that comes with a 4k version.
If you are targetting code size >8k I would recommend the full version
of Keil's compiler

An Schwob

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation

As you must know the 8051 is a great processor for assembly programs
but it's not so good for C. You can expect a tripleing, or even more,
size of rom space, at least doubleng of ram space and a reduction in
speed of 3to 10 times. You havent indicated what kind of things you are
writing so that may not be a problem for you. It's time to upgrade your
processor as well as moving to C, AVR and PIC18 series spring to mind,
I recently saw the new Zilog Z8 development system (hardware plus
compiler) on offer for $15 so I would look there first. If your
applications need high speed number crunching you should consider a 16
bit processor there are good deals on those as well.

Re: 8051 C Compiler Recommendation
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

I think you'd be quite surprised at the code that a good compiler will
produce for the 8051.  I will agree that a very good assembly programmer
will produce better (smaller, faster) code in general.

--
Richard

Really

I had not Noticed!
Where did you get those numbers.
The worse I Ever heard for Keil is 10% to 20% ROM
For a 10X hit on speed I would blame the programmer.
Look at the List output to see if you inadvertently ask the compiler to do
something you never would do in asm.

Re: Really
Hi Niel, it is very dependent on what you are doing. You will notice
the biggest difference on the small jobs ie. single chip apps. Have you
ever done a comparason? I have, not with the Kiel it's true but then I
stopped using 8051's at least 8 years ago maybe longer. If you would
like to write one of my small projects from back then just to see I'll
be happy to give you details.

Site Timeline