802.11b Wireless Chip?

Where can I get some inexpensive WiFi chips with good documentations and perhaps a development kit?

Reply to
Clif

"Clif" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

You cannot get inexpensive "WiFi" chips. You can get 802.11a/b/g etc chips, and getting your design through WiFi qulification is going to cost you. Without a volume of 200ku. you are better off with a WiFi approved module.

-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson snipped-for-privacy@a-t-m-e-l.com This message is intended to be my own personal view and it may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

I assumed that a WiFi chip was the same as a 802.11 a/be/go. I'm still not clear about the distinction you're making?

Where can I get 802.11a/be/go chips? Where can I find prequalified modules with documentation?

Reply to
Clif

If your target volume is under 10000 to 50000, then just buy standard Wifi PCMCIA adapters (may be 20-25$ in volume). Using prism chipset based modules is easier as source code for drivers is available from Linux, as a starting point... Good luck, Yours,

-- Robert Lacoste ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

To contact us, thanks to click on the antispam link below :

"Clif" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

As a complement : If your target volume is under some hundred of units, then have a look at the Wiport solution (from Lantronix).

Cheers, Robert

"Robert Lacoste" a écrit dans le message de news: 42087252$0$26212$ snipped-for-privacy@news.club-internet.fr...

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

I'd also add this one to the list:

Never tried. No idea of cost, either.

"Robert Lacoste" ha scritto nel messaggio news:420872aa$0$26205$ snipped-for-privacy@news.club-internet.fr...

Reply to
Antonio Pasini

I know that in Finland Digi Connect WiMe is around 150-160 EUR. Digi Connect Me around 50-60 EUR While WLAN adapters (PCMCIA/PCI/USB/...) are around 20 EUR.

I can accept that WiMe is clearly more expensive than high volume consumer stuff. But 8x is more than acceptable.

I the space is not an issue, for 150 EUR it is possible to buy low spec SBC card with ethernet and separate WLAN HW. And you get the SBC to do the actual job....

Does anyone know of reasonably priced alternatives to Digi Connect WiMe??

Pygmi

Reply to
Pygmi

That is not a fair comparison. First, numbers are smaller. Second, WiMe contains the entire TCP/IP stack and several servers in a small but powerfull micro, whereas with a PCMCIA/PCI/USB thingy the hosts CPU does all that.

Checkout the Lantronix WiPort. Similar thing, but somewhat cheaper.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

all

Ok, you are right about that. Not a fair comparison...

Seems to be a bit less expensive. My first hit with Google found

with 120 USD

And hey, it says that "Serial Baud rates up to 230KMBaud" So, it seems to be targeted outside US as baud rates are not specified in mileBauds... ;-)

Pygmi

Reply to
Pygmi

Its worth pointing out that many of the people who make the pcmcia cards and routers actually just use pcmcia cards in fancy packaging for everything.

Also, there are compactflash and other small form factor wifi systems which are showing up. + Thumb drive sized USB.... There's plenty of options out there for pre-built systems.

Myren

Reply to
myren, lord