802.11 PCMCIA to 87C196

We're looking at using a standard 802.11b PCMCIA card in an embedded application. The micro being used is an Intel 87C196CB (16 bit), and the specific PCMCIA card we choose will stay connected and will not be swapped with other cards. We will have to implement all the TCP/IP and card drivers in firmware I'm assuming, unless there is an easier way around that in hardware.

What chips are available to interface between PCMCIA and a 16 bit micro? Are there any other considerations to take into account? Currently we use a ready made module that an 802.11b card plugs into and gives us an RS232 connection. This works well but is too expensive for production.

Reply to
Im anonymous

The usual PCMCIA interface chips are targeted at 32-bit laptop applications, so are generally too complicated for use with an embedded controller. You can talk to the PCMCIA card drect, using either an 8 or 16-bit bus, and around 10 address lines, memory and I/O read/write strobes. You can either fake this using I/O ports, or connect the PCMCIA card direct to your bus, in which case you'd need some wait-state logic as well.

See

for an example using a PICmicro. It would also be possible for you to port our WLAN TCP/IP package to your platform; I wouldn't recommend writing all the code from scratch, unless you have a lot of spare time!

Jeremy Bentham Iosoft Ltd.

Reply to
Jeremy Bentham

Contact Crownhill Associates

or Jeremy Bentham at

Info

Is this the same method Rabbit use ??

Reply to
TheDoc

I got a pre-series WLAN module from

(a German company, but they speek good English).

With this module you can comunicate using a rs232 (ttl level) or parallel port without the need to deal with any of the WLAN stuff. You can either send and receive emails or use a transparent tcp channel.

Try contact them at snipped-for-privacy@avisaro.com - their web-site isn't complete yet. Maybe they can help with your integration.

- joe

Reply to
Wlan Joe