8 thermocouple channels

Hello

I need to sample 8 thermocouple channels at about 10 Hz per channel (or more). I would like to get some ideas of what IC to use.

How sensitive is a thermocouple + cables to outside interference? Do I need to filter out any voltage spikes from my measurements?

Reply to
John Smith

How are you planning to handle the cold junction compensation?

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

A temperature sensor at the connection point.

Reply to
John Smith

Are you looking for a off-the-shelf solution, or your own design ?

I have used these parts for each channel ( four channel design):

With a PIC and and LCD display.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

And four of these as well: NMF0505SC

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

need

There is a wonderful H-P/Agilent app note on all forms of temperature measurement, including everything you need to know about thermocouples to multiplex the signals and cold junction compensation

Then turn to Linear Tech and Analog Devices and Maxim for app notes on thermocouples and products to realize your design.

-Aubrey

antedeluvian

You can get a Chip from Analog devices the handles the whole thing. Or you can use opamps and a mux. Otherwise it is a maesurement of a small voltage. so noise will matter as much as any other type of measurement.

Reply to
Neil