8 output pins to RS232 UART/USB

Hello,

Does somebody know if there is a chip with 8 input ports to send 1 byte parallel and then automatically sends the byte out by USB (first choice) or by RS232??

My problem is that I need 3 com-ports on my microcontroller and my processor (zilog Z8S180) only has 2!!! I have an 1 byte output register that I am not using so I thought maby I can use it in this way....

Can somebody help me???

Thanks,

Niek

Reply to
Niek

or

processor

not

Well, you've just been directed to the FTDI website. If you read the datasheet of the FT232BM, you'll find that this chip is also capable of bitbang mode. This effectively allows you to read or write 8 I/O pins. The pins that are normally used for a full RS232 interface are switched to generic I/O lines in bitbang mode.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Same site

again, look for the FT245BM

Rob

Reply to
Rob Turk

For UART you /could/ use HD-6402 (there have been equivalent products but I'm not sure if they're still around). See

This is ancient stuff however, and quite expensive too. It's a fossil from the days before MCUs were ubiquitous and even quite advanced stuff was built with hard wired logic. Today it's value is more as a piece of trivia, except for the odd one being used as spare parts. Using something like a PIC or bit-banging one of the outputs you have would be more of a contemporary solution.

/Henrik

Reply to
Henrik Johnsson

Thanks for the help!!! This is what I need!!!Going to use the FT245BM

Niek

Reply to
Niek

"Niek" skrev i meddelandet news:e365d$41823bed$513a1b62$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.zonnet.nl...

or

processor

not

If you get rid of both your Z8S180 and the FTDI chip and use the AT91SAM7S64, you get USB, 3 UARTS and plenty of other stuff. An alternative chip is the AT91RM3400 where you get USB + 5 UARTs. This will need an external 8 pin SO chip for code storage (loaded into internal SRAM at reset)

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com