8-bit OS sought - Page 3

Re: 8-bit OS sought

You really expect me to remember that?
I'm talking ACAD version 1.2 here!
I'm still trying to forget the pain!  :-)

For example, due to memory restrictions, when doing circuit board layouts we
would use "X" blocks (two lines) of different sizes in place of the pads.
Pads took too much time to render and too much memory (you could see the
circles/squares being drawn.  When ready to plot, we'd edit the DXF file by
hand (WordStar!) and substitute real pads for the block definitions of the
"X"'s.  Then you could use the plot command without actually runnning the
full AutoCAD package.  Living on the edge, that was.

I miss the VT100 terminal though.  You kind of get good at typing commands
with the left hand while you run the digitizer tablet with the right.  Ah,
the good old days.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian

Re: 8-bit OS sought

The reason I asked was, I had a beta version of a PCB cad package running
on my 8080 S100 CP/M box way back when. It only supported one specific
graphics card - from Cromemco I think - which I couldn't afford, so I tried
to hack it to use ASCII graphics on my terminal. It sort of worked, but was
not pretty.

Bob

Re: 8-bit OS sought

The first PCB CAD program that I used was written
by a tiny company called Dasoft.  I worked for
Digital Microsystems and Dasoft was just down the
hall.  We used a Z80 & CP/M based machine that had
a builtin VTsomthing display adapter.  We burned
special character eproms for the adapter that would
show PCB pattern and trace characters when the 8th
bit of the ascii code was set.

In other words, if the CAD program output an 80h,
the screen might show a pad in that position.  An
81h, might show a vertical line, etc, etc.  This way,
we actually had a usable (by the standards of those
days) redraw rates.  I can't remember how we could
tell what side of the board we were working on, but
it must have been something painful.

Re: 8-bit OS sought

Ah yes. CP/M-86.  You didn't say you were using that newfangled modern stuff. :)

Let me guess... Concurrent-CP/M-86?

Re: 8-bit OS sought

And the 8080 before that.

Ian
--
Ian Bell

Re: 8-bit OS sought

Right, but you couldn't hook an 8087 to an 8080.  At least not
easily...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I've been WRITING
                                  at               to SOPHIA LOREN every 45

A little bit more history ...

AutoCAD started life as a package called InterAct which ran
on a Marinchip Systems S100 box with a TI TMS9900 CPU. I saw
InterAct being demonstrated. I still have one of those boxes
in an attic somewhere. Marinchip Systems was John Walker's
company before he started Autodesk.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk
Re: 8-bit OS sought
Try XMK (http://www.shift-right.com/xmk ). Its was specifically
designed for 8bit MCU, its free (BSD license), its run on the AVR, and
it supports both uIP and lwIP TCP stacks.  However, there is no
graphic API/interface.

Re: 8-bit OS sought

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Ive been aiming for PICs and
AVRs. This I'll try.

Thanks all for the help.

Site Timeline