68HC08

Hi All, I want to build a development board for 68HC08. can anyone give me pointers as to how to go about it. like what to take into considerations how to program the in built flash etc ... thanks KB

Reply to
kb

Hi, If you speak french :

You can find the programming design into the datasheet of your HC08, in the MONITOR section.

Regards,

--

--- Yvan

Pour me répondre :

"kb" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Yvan BOURNE

It might make more sense to buy one from the many vendors including Freescale who manufacture them. The costs vary, but the most expensive are around $250. Just getting a PCB laid out alone could set you back a few bucks. That way you can have something that is already up and running. Get a board that has provision for external memory, etc. and access to a daughter board. Then you can do your experimenting on the daughter board.

You didn't state in your post the level of experience you have with the HC08 or any other MCU. Go to the freescale.com site and get any of hundreds of free documents for the HC08. Also hit the metrowerks.com site for a free special edition of its HC08 CodeWarrior package.

Gary Schnabl

Reply to
Gary Schnabl

Yvan, too bad i can't read french, but i'll try translating the pages through google. May be this first geeky reason to learn french (there are other reasons too, i'm sure u would know).

Gary, yeah i know i could buy one for $100-250 but i want to build one. i could share the schematic, the pcb layouts and the software. Well i haven't worked with HC08 but i'm an engineer and pretty familiar with microcontrollers. I guess what i'm really asking is how would i be able to program the controller flash on the board. i think designing the board etc wouldn't be much problem but let say i have the board ready, how do i load the very first program without having to use an external programmer to program the inbuilt flash. I know some uC download code from the serial interface into the ram and execute it, if you pull down certain pins. Can i do something like this with 68hc08 or i have to use an external programmer ? Hope i made my question clear. let me if i make sense. thanks for all your inputs. kb

Reply to
kb

You could somehow get an EVM board cheap and duplicate it later for your special needs. At least you'll have it running right at the start. That what many others would do...

Why not let CodeWarrior do your FLASH programming? The Special Edition doesn't cost anything. Perhaps you'll like it and become a user. You can use CW for some 12 KB of C code and with no limitation for assembly code.

The freescale.com site has a collection of Application Notes about varous design information that you can download. Do a search of those docs. You'll find enough there.

GS

Reply to
Gary Schnabl

Have a look to FREESCALE AN2295. You will program a bootloader in the highest part of the FLASH, and with it, you will be able to program your µC through the SCI.

Regards

--

--- Yvan

Pour me répondre :

"kb" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Yvan BOURNE

Hello You don't need an external programmer, the HC08 family has got so called monitor mode, which allows programming and simple debugging (one breakpoint) through serial port. CodeWarrior provides support for this. Every datasheet for HC08 family contains description how to wite up the cpu to enter monitor mode. Better debugging options offers the HCS08 family with its BDM interface. However there is no free design for an HCS08 BDM tool yet. best regards Petr Cach

Reply to
Petr Cach

In case you are unaware of it, here's another Freescale resource:

Gary

Reply to
Gary Schnabl

I knew that I show something relating to this on Metrowerks's Online Support, so I copied this the last time I surfed Online Support: Adapt the HC(S)12 response for the HC(S)08. BTW, I didn't notice an item 3) in the response...

FAQ: Can CW HC12 be used as a stand alone flash programmer for the HC(S)12 mcu?

Answer: Yes, it is possible. To do that you should:

1) Get a licensed CW HC12 install for flash programming, free SE license will work. 2) Copy project.ini from your project into CW HC12 install\prog, check if "LoadDialogOptions=CODEONLY" appears under the [HI-WAVE] section. If not, add it. 4) Copy your *.s19 from your project\bin into CW HC12 install\prog as MyProject.s19. 5) Go to C:\program files\metrowerks\CodeWarrior CW12_V2.0\prog in DOS window and run "hiwave.exe -Prod=project.ini MyProject.s19". The s-record will be loaded into mcu automatically. You can build a DOS batch file as following and let operator just click this ProgramHCS12.bat -- "c:\program files\metrowerks\CodeWarrior CW12_V2.0\prog\hiwave.exe" -Prod=project.ini MyProject.s19 You can also change the path of your CodeWarrior installation accordingly. Also change the s-record name to the one you want.
Reply to
Gary Schnabl