6502 - Page 3

Re: 6502

It sure would be nice if there was a hack that allowed us to
program a HP33S calculator in machine language...

Re: 6502

  That was partly what I was thinking, but looking at this model,
it has ROM and no external interfaces.....

  I think TI has a Z80 cored bigger model, that has some user access,
and I also see this
http://www.hpcalc.org/qonos.php
which is 'not ready yet', and whilst it is very impressive, it may
struggle to hit critical mass...
  Might be better if they did a software with optional keypad for
the merchant PDAs that are out there.

-jg

Re: 6502

Nobody seems to have yet mentioned the Renesas 740 series (
http://www.renesas.com/fmwk.jsp?cnt74%0_family_landing.jsp&fp=/products/mpumcu/740_family/
), which is instruction compatible (bugs and all!) with the 6502.

There's also a whole range of peripheral options, but I don't know what
the availability would be for hobbyists.

Ed

Re: 6502
http://www.renesas.com/fmwk.jsp?cnt74%0_family_landing.jsp&fp=/products/mpumcu/740_family/
Renesas availability sucks for the 740 core..... They are pushing their
H8 and other 16-bit + processors.

I used the M38049 for a data logger project..... sweet.... 6502
compatable and flash.....

Tony

Re: 6502
http://www.renesas.com/fmwk.jsp?cnt74%0_family_landing.jsp&fp=/products/mpumcu/740_family /

Availability of Mitsubishi parts is terrible even for small to medium
sized businesses.  I worked for a company that used the 740 series parts
in multiple products, and dealing with Mitsubishi was a nightmare.  It
was difficult to get them to honor the terms of the contracts their own
lawyers wrote.

On the other hand, the same company had no trouble dealing with Hitachi
on H8/300 family parts.  Since Renesas is the merger of the Hitachi and
Mitsubishi semiconductor divisions, I have no idea what to expect from
dealings with them now.

Apple used 740 series parts in several products, and I never heard of
them having any trouble, but of course Apple was buying them in much
larger quantities than my employer.

Re: 6502

No kidding.  About a year ago I was looking at the m16c parts.
You couldn't pry information out of what-used-to-be Mitsubishi
if your life depended on it.  Toolchain availability was awful,
documentation was a nightmare, and there didn't seem to be any
user community at all.

Same here.  Documention is orders of magnatude better, there
were all sorts of free development tools, the local Renesas FAE
still doesn't return e-mails or phone calls, but there's enough
other info and support out there that it doesn't matter.

Lets just hope the Misubishi division doesn't pull the Hitachi
division down to their level.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I was in a HOT
                                  at               TUB! I was NORMAL! I was

Aside from the expected confusion of former Mitsubishi salesmen and FAE's
not knowing anything about the Hitachi side (and I'm sure vice versa) early
in the merger, we haven't had much problem with Renesas.  One thing to keep
in mind when dealing with them, though.  Always go to the European website
to look for information and tools.  The US site doesn't have anything near
the same amount of info.

Re: 6502

That's definitely true.  AFAICT, the Hitachi eval boards and a
lot of support stuff all originally came out of Europe.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Alright,
                                  at               you!! Imitate a WOUNDED

My company had been dealing with both Hitachi and Mitsubishi, and we
found that there was indeed a lot of confusion early on in the formation
of Renesas, but that it seems to have settled down some.  I would expect
that the availability of both parts and information would be highly
dependent on the local contact.  In my experience (N. Carolina) it has
been satisfactory, with the understanding that my expectations are
tempered by long and sometimes bitter experience with parts vendors from
around the globe.  Caveat:  my experience is mostly with getting tools
and information.  Usually others have dealt with actually getting parts
and pricing.

Or the Japanese website, if you can understand what you read there.

This is true.

Ed

Re: 6502

http://www.6502.org /