Subject Author Posted Replies

Open Position for Embedded Software Engineer with strong C/C++ and MATLAB/Simulink skills
We are seeking an Embedded Software Engineer with strong C/C++ and MATLAB/S imulink skills to join our project for one of the high-end automobile clien ts in Munich, Germany. As a key member of the...

Lynx
If you're a certain kind of weird, the Linx text-based web browser still works: you can install it in about 30 seconds on a Linux machine. Then you can wonder why in @#$% you bothered.
25
25

Simple point-to-point communication with an embedded platform and an Android smartphone
I'm designing an embedded system based on a Cortex-M0+ MCU. I have to choose a way to make a connection between this system and a generic Android smartphone. The requirements are low-cost, simplicity...
49
49

Ada 2012 running on $15 hardware
I thought people here might be interested in the new AdaCore release of their GPL Ada 2012 for bare-board ARM. I think this is a pretty big deal, especially when they work out how to easily port to...

Another dumb Linux question -- telling if a file is linked to
Subject line says it -- is there a handy way under Linux to tell if a file is linked _to_? I suspect the answer isn't "no". I suspect that it's "HELL NO!!!" It's for (of all things!) serial port...
9
9

Beagle Bone Black ADC Driver under Debian?
Hi Folks, I need to sample multiple input lines on the BBB (rev. c) ADC peripheral at a relatively low rate, perhaps 1 kHz, and do some simple filtering and detection. Is there a kernel mode driver...
3
3

Linux question -- how to tell if serial port in /dev is for real?
OK, wrong group. But you guys are smart, and mostly aren't snobs. So -- is there a way to tell if a device in /dev is for real? There's about a bazzilion /dev/tty in my computer at the moment, but...
95
95

New book coming out
"Expert Guide to Program Management for Developing Embedded Systems", edited by Kim Fowler. Comes out the end of September. I wrote chapter 8, "The Discipline of System Design". The way the chapter...
3
3

Question about Ethernet preample with sniffing software
Hi, I read the following on wikipedia: Preamble and start frame delimiter are not displayed by packet sniffing software because these bits are stripped away at OSI Layer 1 by the network interface...
2
2

Extending UART queue capacity in software
I'm not sure this question is meaningful without a lot of extra data, but here goes anyway: I have an application running on an older device with unbuffered UARTs, and am porting to a newer device...
3
3

Low memory footprint UART-based text user interface
I am looking for a textual user interface library on the Nios II microcontroller running on an FPGA. The Nios controller talks to a host computer via serial port. The code running on the Nios II...
20
20

8051 serial communication with 2 devices
i would like to connect 2 devices like GSM, Zigbee, with one 8051 microcontroller. is it possible to connect with one 8051 are i need to provide separate microcontroller for each device. please...
8
8

AT+CSQ for 3G signal quality level?
I know I can send AT+CSQ command to retrieve RSSI and BER, but I think it is related to 2G connection only. How can I retrieve the 3G (UMTS) signal quality level, when the 3G modem is connected? Is...
2
2

GPS tracking application
I need to log GPS coordinates (time and position) every x seconds. I have a GPS receiver connected through RS232. Together I have to log measures from sensors connected to another RS232 port...
1
1

SGML/XML tools for arbitrary access to entities within document?
Hi, I am driving much of my software from data excised from formal documents that describe the algorithms involved in much more detail (and modalities) than is possible with (textual) "source code"....
2
2