4G embedded router

I have a device with an Ethernet connection that the user usually
connects to ADSL router.

I'd like to offert a 4G connectivity too. I could replace the Ethernet
adapter board with a 4G adapter board, but the effort is too high for us.

So I'm thinking to use a 4G router, that is similar to ADSL router, but
has a 4G modem instead of ADSL model. There are many products available
on the market.

However I'd like to embed a 4G router in my product for many reasons:
better customer impression and the possibility to supply the router when
the mains is absent (my product has an internal battery as a secondary
power source).

So I'm searching for a small embeddable board that features a SIM
holder, a 4G modem and 1 or 2 Ethernet ports. I will connect my Ethernet
board to this 4G router.
Do you know of something similar?

How difficult is to design this?

Re: 4G embedded router

Be glad if you find one which will allow you to do PPP... Good luck.

Dimiter

Re: 4G embedded router

No, I'm searching a board with a "full" router OS that features a DHCP
server (so my Ethernet board receive automagically an IP address) and
will route all incoming packets from 4G connection to the Ethernet port
and viceversa.

The router OS should try to keep the 4G connection active all the time
with the mobile operator.

The goal is to avoid changing the firmware on my Ethernet board.

Re: 4G embedded router

You mean you want a '4G router', for instance:
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/3g-4g-router/tl-mr3020/
(add your own USB 4G stick)
https://consumer.huawei.com/eg-en/support/smart-home/lte-router/
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32840062592.html

or are you constrained by needing a bare board (standard mount points, etc)?
Then things like:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974887615.html
if you're feeling brave.

Theo

Re: 4G embedded router

Check out
https://www.digi.com/products/networking/cellular-routers/industrial

Not a board, but a box which looks promising.

/AP

Re: 4G embedded router

Yes, it could be good. Unfortunately the power supply seems only 5Vdc

Re: 4G embedded router

something like this?
https://www.pcengines.ch/apu3c2.htm

bye Jack
--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Re: 4G embedded router

Thanks for suggestions, but I was searching something much smaller.

Re: 4G embedded router

I've used Teltonika routers in many projects, they've also got them as boards:
https://teltonika-networks.com/de/about-us/trb145-trb140/

--
mikko

Site Timeline