48V to 5V DC-DC Converter

Hi.

We've got an embedded device which carries data to/from a synchronous
serial port over an IP connection.  Normally we supply this with a
120V AC to 5V DC external supply (a "wall wart").  We're getting
interest from folks who want to put these units into telco central
offices and therefore need to run off of 48V DC.

Can anyone recommend a supplier for *external* DC-DC power supplies
suitable for this?  I've found lots of devices suitable for adding
to a circuit board for doing this, but I don't want to change the
embedded device itself.  I'd like to just supply the right external
supply for the customer at ship time.

Thanks,
     Steve

Steve Schefter                               phone: +1 705 725 9999 x26
The Software Group Limited               fax: +1 705 725 9666
642 Welham Road,                  email: snipped-for-privacy@wanware.com
Barrie, Ontario CANADA  L4N 9A1            Web: www.wanware.com

Re: 48V to 5V DC-DC Converter
How much power do you need ? 1/2 amp,1 amp ??
Does it need an RJ11 or RJ45 cable on it ?
What does the 'other' end need? Power plug ?
Length of cable from wall to device?

a little more info is needed.....

jay

Re: 48V to 5V DC-DC Converter

Be aware that telco is usually -48 volts.

Re: 48V to 5V DC-DC Converter

Aren't there mechanical considerations, too? Doesn't the telco want to
put this into a rack, presumably a rack that already carries a power
bus inside it?

But, if you just want an enclosed DC-DC converter, here are a couple
of links:

<http://www.trumpower.com/dcdc/open-encl.html ,
<http://www.trcelectronics.com/dc_to_dc_converters.htm

Site Timeline