3D chip to go with an ARM-based MCU? (PCI + LCD + SDRAM)

For something that carries an ARM720 or ARM920 core, I think a
Geforce2Go or the ATI equivalent would be overkill. The ARM720 core is
intended to be run at about 50MHz and will use 32MB SDRAM chips. The
MCU is EP7312 by Cirrus (this is not confirmed). Does anyone know of a
lesser and cheaper 3d chip in production?? Possibly directly connected
to the RAM (DMA?) rather than using the PCI bus?

Thanks

Re: 3D chip to go with an ARM-based MCU? (PCI + LCD + SDRAM)

Hi, Ghazan,

What about Silicon Motion's graphic chips, which have PCI-Interface:

http://www.siliconmotion.com/en2002/index.htm

You can also use graphic chips from fujitsu:

http://www.fme.fujitsu.com/products/graphics_controllers/products_start.html

Both vendors have chips with embedded graphics memory, which improves
your system performance in a dramatic way, because a continously needed
DMA stream from a framebuffer (in system SDRAM) to the graphic
controller isn't needed.

Best Regards,

Michael Schmid

Re: 3D chip to go with an ARM-based MCU? (PCI + LCD + SDRAM)

Thanks. One of the fujitsu chips were exactly what I was looking for.

Site Timeline