32 pin LQFP prototyping socket?

Anyone know of a source for 32 pin LQFP sockets that can be PCB mounted for prototyping? The only one I could find is:

but it is darn expensive......

Reply to
ElderUberGeek

Huh? That's not a socket, it's a board adapter. The LQFP is soldered down. If you just need to move one chip between different baseboards, this is okay. If you need to pull the chip out and put it in a programmer, this is not so okay.

I'd also call the board to which you linked real cheap :) A ZIF LQFP socket is >$120. Look at Yamaichi, among others.

Reply to
larwe

Sorry, I should have defined the problem better. There is a 32-pin LQPF I would like to test in a prototype. If we use it in production, of course it will be directly mounted on to the PCB. But meanwhile, for the few (several?) prototypes I need to make, I am looking for some type of "socket" just like you have regular IC sockets (one that has pins for the PCB and you place the chip inside....). Does this exist?

Reply to
ElderUberGeek

For LQFPs, I believe your only option that works the way you described will be a ZIF socket intended for test/burner type applications. These are staggeringly expensive as I indicated, and only available from a couple of vendors.

The adapter board you indicated is really cheap compared to buying a socket. The downside is you have to solder the chip down to the adapter, which is why I'm puzzled - if the goal is just to have one or two chips, and move them between a bunch of different boards, this will work. But if the reason you need it socketed is that you have to pull it out and put it in a burner or something, the ZIF socket is the only option for you.

Reply to
larwe

I agree with you, but I guess the idea is that if for some reason the test board goes bad, you do not have to start de-soldering the chip but could just pull it out. By the way I don't know how sensitive these things are, I have never soldered an LQPF before, thus I also like the idea of just plugging it in.....

Reply to
ElderUberGeek

Unless you are dealing with a *very* expensive chip, it's cheaper to :

a. Add in-system programming and solder the thing down for each board OR b. Make a small adapter board with an ISP header that plugs into the target board.

I've used the adapters and they can get incredibly expensive (although if that's what you really need there's no substitute - such as when you only have *one* sample chip).

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

That is adapter. You need to solder the part on it. The link you provided is *very* expensive, but I could not find this particular type TQFP32. I sell some adapters like LQFP48 or LQFP64 for small fraction of that.

Maybe you are looking for this gadget:

Roman

Reply to
Roman

Yamaichi probably makes one. Prepare to spend a good bit of money.

Reply to
Eric Smith