29F010 Read

I am attempting to program a 29F010 with a PC parallel port. I am using a CPLD to handle the 16-bit address latching. The CHIP ENABLE is tied to ground and the OUTPUT ENABLE is held high during the program sequence. Once the program sequence is complete, I am attempting to read back the byte that was just programmed. I set the address and bring OUTPUT ENABLE low. However, when I logic probe the OUTPUT ENABLE pin, it never changes to low. I can remove the 29F010 from the circuit and the OUTPUT ENABLE (from the PC) is correct (low). I noticed that the logic probe indicates a brief low pulse on OUTPUT ENABLE as well as a brief high pulse on the CHIP ENABLE (which is tied to ground) when I attempt to bring OUTPUT ENABLE low. This of couse is making it impossible to read the data back. I have been successful in reading the manufacture code and device code so I know something is working correctly. Any ideas why the enable signals are acting this way?

Thanks!!

Reply to
Patrick Johnson

Are you remembering to issue a READ_ARRAY command after you perform the write?

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

You mean attempt to read the data at the address I just programmed? Yes, I have tried this and I get the same results.

My OE signal to the 29F010 is generated by the CPLD. It is kept high whenever the address is below 0x2000. Any address that is higher than this will allow the OE to go low. I then AND this OE with a control line from the parallel port so that I can override it and keep it high as is needed when writing to the 29F010 with a 'valid' address.

Whenever I have a valid 'address' and the OE is brought low, I get the 'glitch' that seems to reset the address in the CPLD which then causes the OE to go back high. Again, this only happens when the 29F010 is in the circuit.

Sorry to repeat myself. Perhaps this in an electrical problem?

Reply to
Patrick Johnson