25MHz MSP430?

Greetings:

A few months ago at a TI seminar on the MSP430, they mentioned in about a year they would release 25MHz parts. I'm drooling to get my hands on these.

Any other rumors about these yet?

Good day!

--
____________________________________
Christopher R. Carlen

No, but I've heard of someone running a standard 8 MHz part at 16 MHz. 8-)

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I've run these at 11.059MHZ at 3.3v without any problem for the last year. speed's not my issue.. RAM is.. can't wait for the larger ram versions...

Reply to
TheDoc

If only they'd do one with an external bus option...

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Do you want to implement memory-mapped peripherals?

As it is now, you can get versions where the flash and RAM fill all the address space not use by registers and peripherals.

It would be nice to have at least an 8-bit external data bus and about 8 bits of address and chip selects to connect more efficiently to devices such as CF cards, network interfaces, etc.

AFAIK, it would take major architectural changes to expand the memory addressing past the current 64K.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Hi, I am absolutely sure it is no problem for TI to generate a 25 MHz version of the MSP430. The challenge is to do this without compromising the power consumption. You can engineer a device for minimum power (that's where the MSP 430 shines!!) OR for high speed. Well 25 MHz is not exactly high speed but it is probably high enough to increase power consumption in the ultra low power modes. It is similar to an engine and mileage. A 300hp engine will have a tough time giving you 30 miles/gallon while the Prius would be similar to the MSP430, providing reasonable speed and very good mileage. (no, I am NOT a car salesman ;-) In an nutshell, having a low power microcontroller in itself is doable, having a fast one too, having the combination that is where the laws of physics start to get really annoying. Cheers, Schwob

Reply to
Schwob

I'd like to disagree -- at least at this speed/power level. Quite often you can get a very low power consumption by running a fast processor at a low speed. For example, the Atmel ARM processors run with very little power when run at a few megahertz, even though the nominal maximum is 66 MHz.

The same applies to TI DSPs, so TI should have the technology to produce a low-voltage high-speed device. Narrow gate width technology both reduces the power consumption (per MHz) and increases the maximum speed. (However, there may be some difficulties in combining the fast processor and flash memory.)

Of course, the current consumption of a static CMOS core is directly proportional to the voltage and clock frequency. So, a processor cannot be fast and consume little power at the same time. But increasing the maximum clock frequency does not necessarily increase the power consumption per megahertz.

- Ville

--
Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)
Reply to

This is true for a given FAB process - that speed/power has a trade off, and that smaller processes have lower uA/MHz. Where the problems arise, is when the FAB process is tuned for SPEED, and/or agressively shrunk. FPGAs ( & Pentiums) are a good example : They are 'speed paranoid' in process, and their static Iccs have gone up to tens or hundreds of mA.

Still, for the uC space where IDLE Icc is quite important, look at the Philips LPC21xx / Cygnal C8051F for indications of where the speed.Idle can go. Cygnal get to 100MHz peak and Philips to 60MHz, both by using wider FLASH fetch.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I do agree. But if we talk about s 25 MHz uC, this scenario is not very near. In the case of PC processors, power efficiency of the core has not played an important role.

- Ville

--
Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)
Reply to

I have heard that this is in the works. But don't ask me where I heard it, I can't remember.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Yes, but most versions have a few spare K in the 64, and there are several projects where I want the thing to run faster than I can get with a manually manipulated external bus. Experimenting with the Z80-Acclaim thingies at the moment, anyone else tried these out, any comments?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

I have not tried any Zilog stuff in the last 20 years or so since I quit working with Z80s. But I looked very hard at using the MSP430 in my current design and decided to instead use an OKI ARM chip. It may not be sub mW, but it can run at low mW power levels or can run at 60 MHz with a 32 bit CPU. It has lots of internal RAM and Flash along with a fairly good assortment of IO. ML67Q5003 is the flagship chip and is under $10 in 100's. Not bad for a 32 bit chip.

Oh yeah, and it has an external bus :)

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

it would be cool if they manage to keep the 200 uA consumption at this speed actually in all our apps we did with MSP430 (mostly battery powered stuff) never happend to need more than 1MHz clock to perform everything we had to do, in matter of fact most of the time we put MSP430 in 2uA LPM3 sleep mode ;)

Best regards Tsvetan

--
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb(http://www.olimex.com/pcb)
Development boards for PIC, AVR and MSP430
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tsvetan Usunov

They can't address more than 64K though and everyone who worked with PICs hates banking for sure ;)

Best regards Tsvetan

--
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb(http://www.olimex.com/pcb)
Development boards for PIC, AVR and MSP430
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tsvetan Usunov

At least code-space banking can be done elegantly: See HCS12.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

As I've said, I don't want more than 64k total, just to make the holes available (say the 12k spare in F148), just so I can hang bus oriented peripherals on.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

You call that elegant?!? How do you spell klooj?

Reply to
Everett M. Greene