16F628 beginner's book?

Is there a beginner's book that starts specifically with the 16F628?

I plan on using this with IC-Prog and the TLVP.

Thanks for any advice.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Robbins

There is plenty of material around on the 16F84 which will be relevant, there are a few differences though.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Not that I know of. The best that I've seen so far online is Nigel Goodwin's WinPicProg PIC tutorial series, which is based around both 16F628 and 16F877 hardware. It can be a good starting point. The PIC Elmer 160 has a good set of tutorials, but is based on the 16F84. You can find them here:

I haven't yet found a resource that meets all of the following criteria:

1) Uses modern PIC chips (16F88, 16F877, 18F family) 2) Has code that is assembler based. One needs to learn PIC assembly for starters. 3) Utilizes the hardware components like the USART, ADC, PWM, timers and the like. This is where I think the big differentiation from the 16F84 occurs. With limited hardware support, most 16F84 tutorials provide software solutions to these issues. An excellent tutorial would show both methods and discuss when each is appropriate.

Cool. Glad to see my stuff being used. Remember to keep your programming cable short.

Take a look at the two above. Also don't fear getting started with a 16F84 based book or tutorial for the basics. Just walk in with the understanding that there is another level where you bring the onboard hardware into play. So when the tutorial starts talking about bitbanging a serial port, or multiplexing a single timer, you know that hardware serial ports and multiple hardware timers are available.

Finally never take this journey without the PIC Midrange Reference manual from Microchip. While it's not structured strictly as a tutorial, it has all the information you need, along with PIC assembly code examples, to access virtually every hardware subcomponent. Don't develop without it.

Hope this helps,

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

The datasheet is pretty thorough. However, the only book I know that uses that chip is 'PIC in Practice' by D.W. Smith ISBN 0-7506-4812-0

hth

Reply to
maxfoo
-

->Is there a beginner's book that starts specifically with the 16F628?

->

->I plan on using this with IC-Prog and the TLVP.

->

->Thanks for any advice.

->

->Tim

-

-The datasheet is pretty thorough.

Thorough and necessary. However it isn't formatted in tutorial format. It's geared for giving complete information, not teaching how to do stuff.

The midrange reference manual is a bit better in terms of teaching and examples. It's a necessary component too.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff