16-bit DOS from Linux.

Does anyone know of a Linux tool to create a 16-bit DOS executable? I'm looking for a C or C++ cross-development tool of some sort. I don't believe the gcc compiler can be persuaded to create 16-bit executables?

Hmmm, not neccessarily an embedded question, I guess, but it's for an embedded application.

TIA Trev

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd, 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.

Try a DOS compiler (e.g. Borland) and a Linux DOS emulator?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Not that I know of. If at all, GCC would most likely be limited to 64 KB *.com type executables.

It might be possible to coerce the dev86 / bcc toolchain to build DOS executables.

Well, in case nothing else works, you can always run the free version of TurboC 2.01 or TurboC++ 1.0 in a DOSEMU ;-)

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Yeah, I'm already using Watcom on VMWare, but it's a pain, I was really just trying to see if there's something native.

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd, 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.
Tel: +44 (113) 275 1339, Fax +44 (113) 224 9827
Remove X from tmb@Xisotek.co.uk before replying.
Views expressed are my own and not necessarily those of Isotek Electronics Ltd.
Reply to
Trevor Barton

Yep, dev86

comes with run-time libs for DOS (among others). However, IIRC it is also limited to 64KB executables.

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                     email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT de
SYSGO AG                          http://www.elinos.com

Take a look at this article, maybe something here:

Amused

I suppose if you can persude the linker to start an a.out file to start at

0x100, it will be a perfect DOS .com file. DOS happely executes 32 bit code, but you have to watch the 0x66 and 0x67 prefixes for the instructions, as their meaning is opposite if the processor whether in 8088 or protected mode as far as I remember.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

i've used the topspeed compiler under dosemu quite successfully. I suppose that the other dos compilers wkill also work under dosemu as well.

hth goose,

Reply to
goose