16-bit DOS from Linux.

Does anyone know of a Linux tool to create a 16-bit DOS executable?  I'm
looking for a C or C++ cross-development tool of some sort.  I don't
believe the gcc compiler can be persuaded to create 16-bit executables?

Hmmm, not neccessarily an embedded question, I guess, but it's for
an embedded application.

TIA
Trev

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd, 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.

Try a DOS compiler (e.g. Borland) and a Linux DOS emulator?

Paul Burke

Re: 16-bit DOS from Linux.

Yeah, I'm already using Watcom on VMWare, but it's a pain, I was really just
trying to see if there's something native.

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd, 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.
Re: 16-bit DOS from Linux.

Not that I know of.  If at all, GCC would most likely be limited to 64
KB *.com type executables.

It might be possible to coerce the dev86 / bcc toolchain to build DOS
executables.

Well, in case nothing else works, you can always run the free version
of TurboC 2.01 or TurboC++ 1.0 in a DOSEMU ;-)

Re: 16-bit DOS from Linux.

Yep, dev86 (http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday/dev86 /) comes with run-time
libs for DOS (among others). However, IIRC it is also limited to 64KB
executables.

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                     email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT de
SYSGO AG                          http://www.elinos.com

Take a look at this article, maybe something here:

Re: 16-bit DOS from Linux.

I suppose if you can persude the linker to start an  a.out file to start at
0x100, it will be a perfect DOS .com file. DOS happely executes 32 bit code,
but you have to watch the 0x66 and 0x67 prefixes for the instructions, as
their meaning is opposite if the processor whether in 8088 or protected mode
as far as I remember.

Wim

Re: 16-bit DOS from Linux.

i've used the topspeed compiler under dosemu quite successfully.
I suppose that the other dos compilers wkill also work under
dosemu as well.

hth
goose,

Site Timeline