16/32 bit processor for OS development

In my personal opinion, I think that a good sequence for learning is:

[1] Learn how to do things with opamps and logic chips. [2] Learn how to make small programs doing simple tasks on a few different microcontrollers (PIC. ARM, 8051..) [3] Learn C on the same chips, then C/C++ with a RTOS. [4] Learn FORTH and start making mini-languages customized for the job at hand. [5] Repeat steps 1-4 using a modern PC and OS as the target.

Someone who learns all the above would be very much in demand, and would often run rings around the "all I have is a hammer, so I will treat everything like a nail" crowd.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

I think we then agree. I didn't want to rack my brains to write down a litany. Just wanted to point out that I don't think end users are what defines the meaning of words we use, ourselves. What counts for us are the important dividing issues and I've no idea why an end user's perspective plays any part in that. Not that it couldn't, IF that were important to us. But it isn't, so it shouldn't.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Although I will also tend to agree, I wanted to keep it more at an objective level of discussion rather than try and define "states of mind" that are associated with tools and experience using them. Too easy to get into a protracted and ancillary discussion.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

... snip ...

Why don't you hang out on comp.lang.c for a while. That will probably lick your C abilities into shape quite quickly. We attempt to keep the discussions to portable things, i.e. standard C. You should rapidly learn who the idiots are.

CBFalconer

"Guy Macon" skrev i meddelandet news:zsqdnYhTZI_GqX3bRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

It has been working with the 1kB Flash/64 byte SRAM ATtiny13 for years.

Any smaller uC which now support C?

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

The smallest core that has C support, is the Freescale RS08. Not a large family there yet, but an impressive start at the very low end.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I agree but I am biased. We ( Byte Craft) have implemented C on quite a few very small processors. The C compiler encapsulates a lot of information about the processor and its instruction set and use.

Walter Banks

-- Byte Craft Limited Tel. (519) 888-6911

snipped-for-privacy@bytecraft.com

Reply to
Walter Banks

The minimum order quantity for some of the masked ROM GeneralPlus (formerly SunPlus) chips is under 1K. Of course, when you only order 1K you pay higher per-unit cost.

Reply to
Eric Smith