12 bit D/A w/ 6 outputs?

I am looking for 12-bit full word parallel D/A converters with atleast
4 channels of output voltage of -10V to +10V in a dip packaging and a
sampling rate of atleast 100 Ksps.

Does anyone know of any company that makes anything like this. I have
already checked with maxim-ic and analog devices.

Thanks,
Rahul

Re: 12 bit D/A w/ 6 outputs?

atleast
have

I think you are going to find this hard from a pin count perspective.
Parallel inputs mean that you would have difficulty keeping below
64 pins, and a DIP package that large will be _expensive_ even if it
is still available (note it will be more than 8 cm long).

There are plenty of parts that meet your functional requirements
(12 bit, 4 channel, voltage o/p, 100kS/s).

Regards
    Ian

Re: 12 bit D/A w/ 6 outputs?

We do not plan to mass produce what we are building. This is a research
project at a small school and we lack the equipment to solder surface
mount or similar components. We are restricted to perforated boards (or
ordering pcbs for larger circuits) and hand soldering the components. Size
is not really a problem. 8 cm would be reasonable.

Is there any company/person who can solder the smaller ics into
dip-type pin out? Or is there any way to do that in lab without buying
expensive soldering equipment.

thanks,
Rahul

Re: 12 bit D/A w/ 6 outputs?

A small school should learn to hand solder surface mount components!
It's been covered in this NG several times, it's not difficult (except
for BGA) using the simplest of tools. There are plenty of low(ish) cost
prototyping houses to make the PCBs economically.

My suggestion would be to identify re-useable building blocks within the
project, have PCBs made for them allowing them to be mounted on matrix
board, then you will gradually build up a useful library of macro
components for future projects. Maybe even sell them to raise cash!

Paul Burke

Re: 12 bit D/A w/ 6 outputs?
Hi, you can solder sm parts with an iron quite easily.

Re: 12 bit D/A w/ 6 outputs?
 > Hi,
 >
 > I am looking for 12-bit full word parallel D/A converters with atleast
 > 4 channels of output voltage of -10V to +10V in a dip packaging and a
 > sampling rate of atleast 100 Ksps.
 >
 > Does anyone know of any company that makes anything like this. I have
 > already checked with maxim-ic and analog devices.

Parts in DIP cases are somewhat out of fashion. Try something smaller.
And bipolar outputs are out of fashion too. Usually GND to Vcc.
Parallel inputs are only offered for really fast DACs doing many MSamples.
Your chances rise by dropping one or the other or all.

Rene

Re: 12 bit D/A w/ 6 outputs?

Analog Devices DAC8412, DAC8413 are possibilities.  Parallel interface
but you must also drive 3 address pins in addition to the 12 data
pins.

Also the AD7837, AD7847 are possibilities.  None of these are cheap in
small quantities unless you can get some free samples from Analog
Devices.

Another source would be Burr-Brown.  Another would be Datel.

Depending on what your end requirements are, you could also build your
own R-2R DACs with some latches, reasonably well matched resistors and
an op-amp.

Re: 12 bit D/A w/ 6 outputs?
You could make yourself a 12 bit wide PWM by a FPGA or CPLD, pass the ouput
through a buffered clamped to ground and your vcc then filter and level
adjustment via an op-amp to provide what you seek.
Fully custom and allows you what you want.
might even be cheaper
good luck