1-25 m range sensor

What type of range (distance) measurement sensor (and/or sensor combinations
to minimize the total cost) available with the following specs
    i. Range  : 1-25 meters
    ii.Accuracy : 2-5cm
    iii. Max spot size at target : 10cm radius @ 25m
    iv. Repetation rate : 10Hz
    v. Price : (Yes, I would prefer "low cost" whatever it means)

Re: 1-25 m range sensor
A tape measure

$10 from bunnings

Re: 1-25 m range sensor
In article <4323f8c6$0$27926$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, noone@home says...

You can get a 25m tape for that price?   Here in the US, for $10 you
would be lucky to get a good 25-foot tape.

Mark Borgerson

Re: 1-25 m range sensor
combinations to

See, if you went metric you'd get a 300% + improvement on things straight
away.....

Ken

Re: 1-25 m range sensor

Gee!

You must be really fast with the tape measure to achieve 10 Hz
repetition rate betheen 1 and 25 m.

Tom

Re: 1-25 m range sensor

If you could handle a much larger spot size, and possibly a lesser
range, ultrasonic rangefinders are the cheapest option for long
distances.  If the small spot size is required, then you might be stuck
with pricey laser rangefinders that measure the round-trip travel time.
  The Acuity AR4000 measures up to 16.5m and lists at $3500.  Similar
products can be found elsewhere.

http://www.acuityresearch.com/products/index.shtml
http://www.astech.de/ENGLISH/ldm41a_e.htm

Later,
Daniel

Re: 1-25 m range sensor
  Actually, most laser range finders use a phase measurement, rather
than actual flight time.  Leica Geosystems makes some fairly lowcost
laser distance meters, around $800 if I recall correctly.
[http://www.leica-geosystems.com /]

Re: 1-25 m range sensor

Thanks for the link.  The Disto Lite is only $330 (at lascolaser.com)
and measures up to 200m with 3mm accuracy.  Their higher-end units have
bluetooth for wireless data transfer.  If I only had a reason to buy
one; they look neat.

Daniel

Re: 1-25 m range sensor

Does Disto Lite has any computer interface such as RS232?

Re: 1-25 m range sensor

The DISTO Lite and Classic do not have the ability to transmit data.  A
previous DISTO, called the DISTO Pro 4, did have an RS232 port.  It is
no longer being manufactured.  It was replaced by the DISTO Plus.

If you have any questions about the DISTO products, feel free to ask
them.  You can also visit our website... http://www.lasermeters.com

Best Regards,

Matt Johnson
LaserMeters.com

Re: 1-25 m range sensor

That sounds like a laser rangefinder to me. All you need is a laser diode
and photodiode, possibly a reflector on the target coupled with some very
fast pulse generating and measuring. Hope that helps with the homework.

Peter

Re: 1-25 m range sensor

Your Mom (when you do something she does not approve of)!

She comes for free!

--
A. P. Richelieu

Site Timeline