1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

comp.arch.embedded
1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

Anyone know of an ic with 2 or 3 inverters or non-inverting buffers with
schmidt trigger inputs. Toshiba once sold such a device but it appears
only available currently in surface mount packages. There are numerous
other devices that are similar but, again, in surface mount packages.

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Hul

--
- for email, put the word "keeper" in the subject line -

Re: 1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

Tip: use SMD with 6 gates (that's what I do). It is much smaller than
DIP8 with 2 gates, and the main advantage is that it exists and is quite
cheap.

Re: 1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

Good tip, but...
    the current objective is to use (ie find) a thru hole type device
to avoid running a board through surface mount processing for just one ic.

Hul

Re: 1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

  SO8 can still be mounted manually; it's packages like MLF and 5 lead
SOT23 that are more hassle.

If you want DIP8 so much, that you do not care about the price, then you
could look at MOSFET driver ICs, many of those are old enough to come
in DIP8 for the common dual-drivers.

Last CMOS logic device I saw in DIP8 was a RCA 4000 series one...

-jg

Re: 1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package
Jim - I'll take a look at the mosfet drivers. Thanks for the suggestion.
The 4000 "peripheral drivers" are still available - I'll take another look
at them also.

Hul

Re: 1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

You can always put the SMT device on the solder side. That way you can
still wave solder the lot in one go. Of course the SMT device must be
glued on, so it is one extra step.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: 1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package
Anton - thanks. Mounting the ic on the bottom might reduce the time
required for a smd device enough. Certainly worth testing.

Hul

Re: 1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

Panasonic do a lot of their boards this way. You sometimes need a
"solder trap" when wave soldering certain SMT type devices glued on
the solder side. This is basically just a large pad close enough to
the device, so that it grabs enough of the solder so that the pins on
the SMT device do not short. IPC has all the technical specs, and pad
definitions that work reliably with wave soldering.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: 1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

You did not specify what the ciruit will be used for or how fast it
needs to be, but if you are doing some low speed task like cleaning up
opto signals, switch inputs or something similar, you could use a
voltage comparator like the LM193 or LM293 set up with some hysteresis.
Comparators are still availible in DIP or T05 cans according to National
Semi's web site.

If you are looking for fast logic, another approach will be required.

Good Luck,
Bob

Re: 1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package
Bob - Good suggestion. I hadn't thought about a comparator, but those
would fit. Maybe one of the op amps from that family too...

Hul