Zero ohm resistor ?

yesterday I brough a x'mas three kit set for soldering, But the circuit use
four nos. of zero ohm resistor.Can any person know what is that mean, can we
use jumper wire to substitute ? Thank you.

Re: Zero ohm resistor ?
2 possibilities...
- it's just a jumper wire to ease crossing on the pcb
- it's used as "fusible resistor" for protection of the circuit

> yesterday I brough a x'mas three kit set for soldering, But the circuit
use
> four nos. of zero ohm resistor.Can any person know what is that mean, can
we
> use jumper wire to substitute ? Thank you.

Re: Zero ohm resistor ?

> 2 possibilities...
> - it's just a jumper wire to ease crossing on the pcb
> - it's used as "fusible resistor" for protection of the circuit
>

> > yesterday I brough a x'mas three kit set for soldering, But the
> > circuit
> use
> > four nos. of zero ohm resistor.Can any person know what is that
> > mean, can
> we
> > use jumper wire to substitute ? Thank you.

  sounds like a jumper to accommadate single sided pbc layout

Re: Zero ohm resistor ?

> > yesterday I brough a x'mas three kit set for soldering, But the circuit
> use
> > four nos. of zero ohm resistor.Can any person know what is that mean, can
> > we use jumper wire to substitute ? Thank you.

> 2 possibilities...
> - it's just a jumper wire to ease crossing on the pcb
> - it's used as "fusible resistor" for protection of the circuit

TOP POST REPAIRED!   Ecch!

Yes.  However "Zero Ohm Resistors" are commonly used to select options or in
some cases (since the actual resistance is about.01 ohms) as a current sense
resistor.

Never used as a "fusible resistor" since it will carry much more current than
any other element in the circuit!  Also, not made to open readily!  A diode is
a better fusible component.

Re: Zero ohm resistor ?
>Subject: Re: Zero ohm resistor ?
>From: "Clarence" snipped-for-privacy@No.com
>Date: 11/19/2004 2:38 PM Central Standard Time

<snip>
>A diode is
>a better fusible component.

Sorry, not quite.  The old "crystal" diodes would fail open pretty reliably,
but modern diodes frequently fail shorted, too.

Fusible resistors have their place.  The spec tells their current rating.
Also, several manufacturers make small axial lead fuses which have the same
form factor as a 1/4W resistor.

Good luck
Chris

Re: Zero ohm resistor ?

> >Subject: Re: Zero ohm resistor ?
> >From: "Clarence" snipped-for-privacy@No.com
> >Date: 11/19/2004 2:38 PM Central Standard Time
> >
> <snip>
> >A diode is
> >a better fusible component.
> >

> Sorry, not quite.  The old "crystal" diodes would fail open pretty reliably,
> but modern diodes frequently fail shorted, too.
>
> Fusible resistors have their place.  The spec tells their current rating.
> Also, several manufacturers make small axial lead fuses which have the same
> form factor as a 1/4W resistor.
>
> Good luck
> Chris

Then YOU should use the fuse!

Re: Zero ohm resistor ?

> yesterday I brough a x'mas three kit set for soldering, But the circuit
> use
> four nos. of zero ohm resistor.Can any person know what is that mean, can
> we
> use jumper wire to substitute ? Thank you.

Zero Ohms resistors are used for wire bridges on single sided printed
circuit boards. They are used instead of pieces of wire as they can be
handled easier, especially by placing machines. Ever saw a board with tens
of them. Obviously designed by a lazy or incompetent pcb designer. As these
resistors are made to replace jumper wires, you can replace them by  the
jumper wires they replace :)

petrus bitbyter

---
Re: Zero ohm resistor ?