Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?

Is it possible for an antenna to see through a thicket of trees? I
noticed a picture on a web site of a UHF antenna in an attic.

Re: Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?

Yes it's possible.  The signal will be attenuated slightly by the trees
but it will probably be ok, unless the signal is already very weak.

My TV antenna is in my attic and it works fine through the roof tiles.

Re: Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?

I would have guessed that leaves contribute to any trouble. I suppose
wet leaves have produce appreciable attenuation.

Speaking of weak, at one time I laid the antenna and pole on the ground
to attend to something else. I happened to have a strong signal that I
had been looking at, and could see a somewhat dimmed view on the TV
screen. Strange stuff.

Re: Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?

   Wet trees have higher attenuation than dry at UHF.

Teflon coated.

Re: Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?
As I distantly recall, attenuation of a signal varies a lot by frequency
and medium. UHF, VHF, C-Band, X-Band, etc. GPS has a tough time getting
through leaves. Probably some frequencies have difficulties with the
atmosphere, etc. Dunno...  There are probably charts on these things.

Re: Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?

   What?  By variety of tree, seasons and moisture contend?  The best
bet is to shoot through the trees for a clean signal.

Teflon coated.

Re: Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?

TV first came to my state in eastern India 31 years ago when some
army personnel discovered that they could receive transmissions
from a Bangladesh station some 100 miles to the west. Only those
of us on the western slopes of the hilly terrain could get a
usable signal. The reception at the house of a friend, though
facing west, was very bad - more snow than picture. There was a
medium-sized tree 100 ft away right in the reception path. I
thought that was probably blocking the signal, so they chopped
off most of the branches. The difference was quite significant.

Re: Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?

yes, lower frequencies work best.  UHF probably ok (but not ideal)
depending to some extend how many trees, how wet they are, and how
windy it is.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?
Another not see through transmission of trees is Satellite TV.

Site Timeline