Wrong PSU - Please help?

I want to learn a little about PSUs transfomers can anyone point me to some links which could prove useful. The reason I ask is that I have purchased a ADSL router on eBay recently and I think that the PSU may be not be suitable/not the original one. It is a Netopia 3341,if anyone is familiar with it. I have seen and fitted a number of these routers and they usually are supplied with laptop type power brick PSU

- this one is not. This is not what concerns me. The router has an input of 12VDC, 1.0A (labelled on the underside of the device) and the PSU is labelled as:full label is Input 230V ~50Hz 140mA, Output

10V-1.2A.

Is this correct and safe to use or could I damage the router. Do you think that this was indeed the PSU which was supplied by the manufacturer. I would have expected output to be 10V. Please advise and explain so that I may learn something and put my fears to rest.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Delakota555

Reply to
delakota555

What country? What is your local voltage?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

In all probability (99.99% or so) your router doesn't actually require 12V. It's likely that the manufacturer specified 12V because it was convenient to obtain power bricks of that voltage.

I can't see any way you can harm it by using the 10V brick to be honest. It's likely to run cooler in fact which is no bad thing.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It's

Thanks for the advice Graham

Actually, I had noticed it ran cool - both the PSU and router - it is working i just want to make sure this is okay.

Reply to
delakota555

UK = 240V :)

Reply to
delakota555

It's probably close enough and will work in that case.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

It's

As said earlie it will probably be fine, there is likely to be a voltage regulator inside the router which will convert the 12V or 10V DC to what it actually needs, most logic runs on 5V or less. Re the 1A on the router that will ba the maximum it will require so having a 1.2A supply which actually means that is the maximum it will supply, will have no effect. The reason it will run cooler is because it is having to lose less volts at the required current hence it dissipates less power. The only wat it may fall over is if parts of the circuit need a higher voltage than 5V, such as say 9V, if this is the case the voltage regulator may drop more than the needed 1V in which case it wont work. So if it is working then the only effect will be that it takes less power and therefore runs cooler.

Hope this helps you out.

pete d

Reply to
Pete D

It's

If it's working reliably, but cooler, it may well be a deliberate improvement by the manufacturer. I've seen many similar devices that've had reliablility problems from running too hot.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."