wireless sensors

I bought a wireless inside/outside temperature/humidity display. I got to thinking about the outside sensor. I am almost sure the sensor does not transmit all the time because of only 2 AAA batteries.

Any thoughts on how often the sensor updates and sends data back to the inside unit ? Once a minuit, once ever 10 , or maybe it is when the temperature changes a half to one degree ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Temperature doesn't change all that fast so the refresh rate can be pretty slow and still give good results. But unless they tell you how often it updates how would you know?

Measure it yourself? Acclimate the outdoor sensor to some temperature (inside the freezer for instance) then set it outside and watch to see how often it updates.

Reply to
default

It tends to change most during the morning and evening. So you could sample sparsely overnight and during the daytime. But this is not

*always* the case by any means. It's trickier than it appears.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I donno. I have some large digital displays that I've watched for a few years now and have only seen sudden changes when it rains, or sunlight hits a sensor. I put one indoors, one outdoors and shielded from sunlight, and one on the heat pump discharge air. (that one sunlight can reach in the mornings) All wired sensors with 9 bit resolution.

I'm sampling every two seconds and a fast change is on the order of 1 degree F in ~20 seconds, but the air temperature isn't changing that fast, it's caused by rain hitting the sensor or the heat pump is ramping up.

I've another on a pole outside that flashes the digital temperature by flashing the 10's digit and then the 1's with the temp. Changes color too Blue for cool, green for comfortable and red for hot. It is fed by the low voltage landscape light circuit.

Sample every five minutes then send an RF burst transmission of 100 milliseconds length with the data.... Battery life will depend on data rate and transmitter power, the sensor uses ~1 ma 3 volts when active, and down in the nano amp range when standing by between interrogations.

Reply to
default

I RTFM doesn't help, then you can get a rough idea: - turn off the base station and turn it on again - time how long it is between the internal and external readings appearing - repeat

The minimum time /might/ indicate the time for the tx/rx to sync with each other.

Updates don't occur more frequently than the maximum time.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The manual does not say how long between updates. It like most consumer devices just barley tells how to set it up.

There is no simple on/off swithch. You have to remove the batteries and unplug the wall cube. Then it takes time for it to resink and I may loose all the setup information.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery