wire for high current inductor

I'm designing a 1 mH inductor with max current of 30 A. Anybody can give me suggestion what kind of wire should be used? thanks

Reply to
Budiyanto

"Budiyanto"

** Enamel coated copper - maybe the high temp grade.

But that is the very least of your problems.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

me

Do you care about the Q of the coil? And if so at what frequency? Or is this just DC. (Oh, air coil or will there be magnetic material involved?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

=

Firstly, thanks for your suggestions George. I don't have any ideas about the Q factor but it would carry dc current with high frequency switching of

10 kHz. For the core I prefer magnetic material in the coil.

About Phllip's comment, I didn't find enameled copper for such high current available from Farnel or RS.

Budiyanto

"Budiyanto"

** You can ue more than one wire and parallel them.

For what you are now describing, as many as 10 twisted strands might be advantageous.

BTW:

Look into the use of powdered iron cores.

Big ones.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Budiyanto Inscribed thus:

You could always salvage enamelled wire from a transformer or motor or...

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

ve

Or

of

nt

Hi Budiyanto, I haven't made any suggestions, Just trying to understand what you want. I like Phil's idea of using several stands of magnet wire.

I've made a bunch of air core coils but don't know much about magnetic materials.

At 10kHz a 1mH inductor has an impedance of about 50 ohms... at 30 Amps that's a voltage of 1.5 kV! Is that right? This sounds like some very serious power engineering. (Which is way out of my league.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold