Will salvaged computer parts work? Even after in the rain?

I salvaged a coputer from the trash today as a way to teach my self some soldering techniques when I noticed the fan inside. The fan is ideal for implementing into my telescope but when I dissambled the power supply and extracted the fan it didn't seem to work even after hooking it up to a 9v battery. Also the small pieces of the computer on the motherboard, can they be used even if they may have gotten wet? This would save me some cash if i could just desolder them and use them for later projects. I don't know the names of these but they are the cylinder, and the flat circular parts that solder into the board.

Reply to
rdeol85

Are there any markings on the fan? It might be designed to work only with

+12 volts.

Many parts can be used after getting wet, after drying thoroughly. But I think the component you're talking about is a battery, and there's no telling what water may have done to that. Can you get a voltage reading on it with a voltmeter?

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar

you'll get practtice, but desoldering computer parts isn't real good for soldering irons, chemicals in the resin (or the glass fibres?) in the board wear the tips out.

this may ghave some bearing on why the computer was trashed

if it doesn't ruyn when you hook it up with the red wire to the positive terminal of the 9v battery even if you give it a bit of a push-start it's broken.

even if they may

For the most part, yes.

sounds like you're describing electrolytic and ceramic capaciitors.

electrolytics can fail (especially if the fan gave up and they got cooked) the disc ceramics are are heat resistant but an over-voltage can kill them too.

the problem with used parts is you need to test them before you know they're good.

OTOH solder sticks to them about as well as it sticks to new parts so you'll atleast get the soldering practice you were after. Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Do you have any proof for this wild claim? Solder alloys with the metal the tips is made from, or the plating. This dissolves into the liquid solder and erodes the metal tip.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida