Why we call it "floating gate"

Hey...

In the NVM,

why we call the stuff which located under the gate the floating gate?

Please tell me the why of calling floating gate.

Reply to
suandyou

A gate is floating if it has no electrical connection to anything else, namely if it's a conductive slab surrounded by insulating oxide in all directions.

Charge is transferred to/from the gate by tunneling through the oxide, or some similar process, which generally takes an unusually high voltage, ultraviolet exposure, or something special like that.

John