Why the long leads?

Resistors, capacitors, LEDs, etc, when made for soldering into through hole curcuit boards, have really long leads. Why are they still made this way since the leads all get cut short? Is it just for handling? It seems so wasteful. The long leads are great for folks like me making home made electronic stuff like kits. I'm not complaining and perhaps I should shut up but I just wondered again after reading about how resistors are made by looking at the link Spehro provided. Eric

Reply to
etpm

We stick indicator LEDs up from a pcb ~1/2 inch through a hole in a panel. Resistors get stuck in end on to save area. And when some make of cap 'goes away' long leads makes it easier to addapt a new cap to the old hole spacing.

(I'm sure lots of other useful reasons.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Not all leaded componets go on PC boards. Even when they do, the Pick & Place has to trim away part of the leads to get rid of the adhesive, rather than risk bad solder joints.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

originally the long leads were for point to point wiring.

In my parts box I've got some 1uF MLCCs with short leads

but for the long leaded parts the leads don't add much to the cost, the offcuts can be recycled, and the equipment is designed to handle them

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

While true, how many decades ago was in when point to point sort of went away?

It's like how CDs used to come in longboxes, to fit in record bins. That did eventually change.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That's true, the leads never shortened. In reality, they could be a compromise, somewhat shorter, yet still "long". I don't notice any change in lead length in forty two years. Maybe half the length is all that's needed I think that would still leave enough lead for resistors to be put on end.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

half the lead is lost when they are cut from the tape & reel by the Pick-n-Place machines. In case no one has told any of you, leaded components are rare these days in high volume production, when compared to the surface mount devices.

The tapew will peel of cleanly on very fresh reels, but try it on one that's been in stock for several years and you'll find stick leads.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not only that. Stripping components from tapes leaves adhesive residue on the lead ends, which can contaminate plated-through holes, leading to poor solder flow.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I have never found a cable stretcher that worked well. I suppose they keep 'em with the skyhooks.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

No. They are all on the copper wire production lines. You don't think they turn down 12" billets of copper to make #60 AWG, do you? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They make toothpicks out of logs by turning them on a lathe, don't they?

Reply to
krw

Shhh! Don't give the audiophiles any ideas!

--
Les Cargill (now searching for his left-handed monkey wrench)
Reply to

Cable is what wire aspires to be :)

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Only in W.W. II propaganda starring Buggs Bunny, when they are trying to show people how wasteful they can be.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wire and a bunch of her freinds get togeter and get everything all twisted up.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How many of them even know what a lathe is, let alone how to use one? :)

You've been warned to keep that left handed monkey in his cage, so he stops stealing all your left handed tools. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

for commercial production, some time before I was born, for specialty stuff, from what I read here it's still done.

Many of the hairpin resistors I've seen in commercial products look to have been made specially for that applicatin, they have a kink in the long lead at the PCB level and the long lead has paint down to there too.

possibly these:

image top of page 4 (obsolete product)

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

That they do, but the bit left on the lathe at the end of the process goes into the furnace, and the veneer stripped off the log is cut up for toothpicks,

hmm, turning a billet on a lathe produces a wire-like thread, but with non-uniformity, sharp edges, and heat effects, whether it can be passed successfully through a wire-forming die, I do not know.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to