Why the high price for tube amps?

The vacuum was shipped separately, when you were a kid. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Be nice ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I was! Not everyone was skilled enough to install the vacuum. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I wouldn't expect any kind of decent high end response from a guitar amp xfmr. These amps are definitely not made for "high fidelity". (There is no source to be faithful to, because they *are* the source!) Look at the speakers they are driving. Guitar speakers are usually designed to match the range of guitars, with emphasis on the low end, and especially on lots of power. They are completely different beasts from "high fidelity" speakers such as you might use in a reproduction system. I doubt a guitar amp designer would have worried about the response much above a few kHz, since there wouldn't have been much to begin with.

But they probably would sound OK, in the same way that the old juke boxes did: Seemed nobody back then wanted too much high end; leaving it out made things sound "mellow". A big goal was "gut-thumping bass".

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v7.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI FREE Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Or have the time to wait for the wagon train to show up. :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Tubes were less expensive at the time. My first tube was less expensive then my first transistor. Though a set of matched EL34 for "only" $8? I don't remember them to be that cheap. Nevertheless you can still buy these types for much less then the $50,- I mentioned for a real good set.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

"Michael A. Terrell" schreef in bericht news:a-idnWF_6snKzkfPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

Especially that dirty second hand vacuum is not easy to install. You'll need a vacuum cleaner and a stable hand ;)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Come on now, guys! I'm only about to celebrate my 18.5 birthday ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I last bought 4 El34's (2 matched pairs) in _1958_ ! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

ISTR that the output transformer for the Williamson design had a primary inductance of 100H.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I don't remember a lot about those 50 year-old builds, but I vaguely recall an "ultra-linear" transformer that had screen taps.

Ah, yes...

and...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

And copper by the pound costs $$$

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Pretty ubiquitous, even in lowish-end stuff. IIRC, 43% was the "magic" tap ratio.

AKA "Partial Triode" operation.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)
Reply to
Fred Abse

A stable hand? that vaccum must have be really dirty!

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

Yeah, but for the forth time, Jack Benny. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That was two years before I built my first radio. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Exacutly ;-) Well! Not exacutly, more like fourth time >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I built my first tube radio, a TRF, when I was in Cub Scouts; and built a superhet with CK760's when I was ~14.

(Advantage: Father had radio and TV repair shop up and running by

1948.) ...Jim Thompson
 Click to see the full signature

Snag one! Or three! If it's your first amp, then anything that had pretensions of being high fidelity is probably going to work for you. The rest you can sell on eBay and get some $$ for buying toobs.

Note that every one is going to be set up differently -- without knowing the specs of the final transformers you'll be at a bit of a disadvantage. You can try measuring turns ratio and work out the input impedance from that: it'll probably be pretty close. But if you get something that's set up for ultra linear operation, or some wacky output tubes, or some such, you may be up a creek until you get it figured out.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature