White Noise Source

LEDs make great current switches--the garden variety ones I used in Footprints had leakage is down in the femtoamps from ~-5V to +0.5V. The photosensitivity can be a feature as well as a bug, when you use it to supply DC bias for a capacitive sensor such as a pyroelectric. (See

especially the paper with the gory technical details.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

of

Then I

om

ttle

aving

p lead.)

Thanks Ben, I've heard that, but never tried it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Phil Hobbs Inscribed thus:

Seems most of the photos are missing !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

I've only used that kind of noise source when i'm aligning VHF and UHF preamps. The zener breakthrough is at around 6V for ordinary transistors as the 2N2222. You have to test a handful to find the best noise source ;)

/Ben - SM0KBW

Reply to
Ben / SM0KBW

Right! Thanks. Fixed now.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil Hobbs Inscribed thus:

Looks fine now. Thanks.

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

=A0Seems

me

What are you going to paint it with?

I discovered over the weekend, that black electrical tape is not as good as I thought it was. (I'll have to do some testing, when I have time.) I was tweaking the gain of my zener noise source and turned on the overhead lamp to get some more light for soldering. The noise dropped by a factor of ten or more.... and this is with black electrical tape wrapped around the zeners! Putting my hand over the zeners to shade them... noise went back up.

I've perhaps made an anvalanche photodiode out of my zener?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Seems

It's well known that black vinyl tape is translucent to some light.

Michael A. Terrell

Seems

Yup. Many black-looking things are coloured with organic dyes, which become transparent in the near IR. Silicon doesn't really cut off till about 1100 nm, so there's frequently a detectable leak.

Novolac epoxy (used for chip packages) is opaque at all wavelengths from the mid-IR to soft X-rays, so it's not an issue with plastic-packaged chips.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Seems

the

external

some

I saw several reels of optical sensors on Ebay this morning, but probaly nothing of interest to you. I did win a reel of 3,000 UHF transistors last night, though. I see the seller posted another reel: "Reel of 3000 UHF 9GHz NPN Transistors Philips/NXP"

Now, to see what trouble I get into with them. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Try using some heat-shrink tubing, then pinch the ends closed while still hot.

Reply to
JW

Seems

Carbon paint is pretty good, e.g. ultraflat black Krylon. It's somewhat electrically conductive, though, so you have to be careful with it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

und? =A0Seems

ecause

ing some

zed the

ed

one

xternal

, or

ve some

=A0With a

nt the

ve

ped

ht.

t -

Thanks Phil, Time to order some more parts. Say can you buy Novolac epoxy? (for less than a bottle of good Scotch.)

I figured it might be something out past ~800nm. I've mostly looked at how the tape blocks the Rb D line's (780 and 795 nm)

I've got a bit of time today and will do a few measurments. I've got this old Jarrel Ash spectrometer and PAR 1205 multichannel analyzer. (I'm not sure what the detector is...)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

? =A0Seems

use

some

the

rnal

some

ith a

the

OK I can look at that too.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

nd? =A0Seems

cause

ng some

ed the

ne

ternal

or

e some

=A0With a

t the

ll

t -

I use to paint Aquadag on the radiation baffles in the pumping lines of low temperature probes.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Seems

So use black paint for white noise? Eric

Reply to
etpm

Seems

because

some

the

external

some

Hmm, interesting, I'd have thought you'd get a lot of outgassing even from dried DAG, just on account of all that surface area.

And you weren't worried about flakes of DAG getting into the turbo? Or was it diffusion-pumped?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Seems

the

external

some

Absolutely. Use it and like it. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

:

around? =A0Seems

t because

ying

trying some

alized the

cased

ll one

e external

ing, or

have some

. =A0With a

paint the

have

still

ewhat

t -

No this was in the big ass pumping lines.... Mechanical pumps. going down into a He4 pot. Some piece of low temperature lore said to use aquadag.. and I just followed that advice, no idea how much it reduced the heat load. If at all.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

? =A0Seems

use

some

the

rnal

some

ith a

the

Black electrical tape.

3M Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl electrical tape made in USA (2007)

I=92m also posting this on sci.optics too. (So a bit of a recap)

So I was testing a noise source made with some glass encapsulated Zener diodes (1N5250). The Zeners are wrapped in the above electrical tape to keep out the light. I found that light was still leaking in. (The noise amplitude goes down dramatically when exposed to light.)

I tried to measure the transmission of the above tape with a Si PIN photodiode. I first used a diode laser at 780 nm. The laser was producing a bit more than 10mW of power (8mA of photo current) and I could see no signal leaking through one layer of tape (PD gain =3D 10Meg ohm, DC offset =3D 0.1 mV.. no change at 10uV level.)

I then put the same photodiode under a 60 Watt incandescent lamp. Which when stuck right in front of the PD produced about 2.5mA of photo-current. Again with the tape, at the highest gain setting I could see no change at the 10uV level.

10uV/ 10 M ohm, about 1pA of current vs a few mA=92s. Attenuation of at least10^9!

I=92m stuck wondering what the heck is going on? Is the Zener also a =91very=92 sensitive photodetector? Or does it respond to some longer wavelength photons than the Si photodiode that is leaking through the tape?

The PD is a square about 0.25=94 on a side (0.0625 sq. in area). It=92s a bit hard to know the zener active area. Looking under a microscope there=92s gap about 0.01=94 (inches) between copper colored electrodes. Maybe 0.06=94 wide, so an area of maybe 6x10^-4 sq in.

George (confused again) Herold

Reply to
George Herold