Where to buy one 18 V cordless drill motor? (USA)

Any good online merchants that sell the equivalent of cordless drill motors from 14.4 to 36 volts? Any online stores that sell similarly powerful DC motors in quantities of one?

Partly out of curiosity. How much would you pay if you had to buy a motor separately and needed a motor like the following 36 V cordless drill uses? Or would you pay less by buying a drill body off of eBay/wherever and using the motor from that?

Thanks.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

I'd put a WTB ad in my local Recycler newpaper.

**Battery-powered drill wanted. Dead battery is OK.** Bet you get more calls than you can handle.

You're thinking too linearly. I always think *surplus* first for a one-off item.

There you go. There are lots of tools out there that guys won't buy a battery for.

Reply to
JeffM

Yep. I see them all the time in the second-hand stores: Goodwill, ARC, The Salvation Army, etc. It's my observation that they are donated (i.e., tossed) because the battery went bad and it was discovered that the price of a replacement battery was more than a whole bright, shiny, new kit.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

There are numerous power tool parts vendors on the internet. For example, for Black and Decker drills:

One of several 18V drill motors:

Item #15 is the motor for $8.31.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The problem I have with a cordless drill motor that comes inside of a cordless drill is that it has a very short shaft with a gear stuck to it. I need a motor with a minimum 1" shaft without a gear. The other properties of a cordless drill motor are very well suited for my project, especially the fact that a cordless drill comes with a battery holder and a controller.

Reply to
John Doe

Here are a few online vendors that might have what you want... MPJA has a pretty good selection of motors at

Look first at the one at
All Electronics, at
has a number of motors as well. Goldmine has a few that might suit your purpose at
looks like it might be the same as the one from MPJA, but cheaper.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveM

I looked up a cordless circular saw on that website. I had hoped that a cordless circular saw would have a longer shaft. If that circular saw was typical, at least now I know better. Makes sense that a motor shaft intended to do work has a gear stuck to it (or maybe a bevel).

I need to connect the motor shaft to a 5/16" diameter rod. I might try finding/buying some steel tubing with an outer diameter of 5/16" (maybe from McMaster), then machine the drill shaft/gear down to the inner diameter of that 5/16" steel rod, and then roughen the outer and inner surfaces, and then glue them together. At least that's probably better than the last way I stuck a roller to the cordless drill motor shaft. Just need to keep the metal sawdust out of the motor.

Thanks to the replies.

Reply to
John Doe

No, If you want a hand-held tool motor with a long shaft, get a rotary tool, die grinder, router, or laminate trimmer motor. most other hand-held tools have gears. but these ones are direct-drive and the motor will terminate in a collet chuck (should be real easy to couple to whatever you want)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Try using a shaft coupler. You can probably get one from an industrial supply outlet for minimal cost.

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Cordless? Has to be a DC motor.

Reply to
John Doe

I think most cordess maotors are geared. I have remains of a cordless somewhere (think I know which box it is in!) which I will find and check the shaft and could send you. But probably not much point sending from here in eastern Canada when you could get a second hand cordless drill from some junk store nearby for a few bucks and take the motor out of that?

Reply to
terryS

Yeah. I'm also looking for a juicy NiHM or lithium-ion power supply (battery/holder/controller). Mainstream tools are cheap. Panasonic's NiHM powered 18 V cordless drills come with 3.5 amp hour batteries. A Bosch 36 V drill comes with a two amp hour battery. I guess that's the equivalent of a four amp hour 18 V battery. Lots of amp hours.

Extraneous stuff. Currently I'm looking at calipers/micrometers. Planning to shield the motor and carefully grind the gear down to the inner diameter of an aluminum tube, then push the tube onto the gear. I was going to limit the outer diameter of the tube to 5/16" but I'll probably need maybe 1/2" or larger. The greater tube outer diameter will require larger inner diameter bearings (than 5/16" ID 608 ball bearings, cheap and common with in-line skates) that the tube is going through.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
Reply to
John Doe

there's all sorts of cordless tools out there:

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

What about a model store ? Radio control model cars use mighty powerful DC motors with long shafts. You can probably find something of a suitable size / power / voltage at reasonable cost. Also, many small powerful motors used in cars - for instance, electric windows, electric sunroof, central locking, electrically steered door mirrors, heater control valve / vent flap drive, electric seats. Visit to an auto junkyard, where these items might already have been removed for sale, perhaps ?

Arfa

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

If the drill is a cheap name brand like but not limited to Coleman, Great Neck etc.. that you can pick up with a drop charger and an extra battery and case for $29.99 US the best thing to do is to buy another drill. I own an 18v Coleman that is fine for around the house. Two batteries, drop charger, case. Sufficient torque for small household drilling and driver duties. Batteries last a lonmg time and charge fast. However it's not something I would use for carperntry work. I upgraded recently to a Hitachi 14.4 3/8" that uses Lithium-ion batteries. It has twice the torque, comes with two batteries, a case, belt hook and drop charger. I paid $150.00 US for it but it is worth every penny.

Reply to
Meat Plow