What type of motor is this OLD GE motor

All, I have an old GE motor that I cannot either date or figure out exactly what type of AC motor it is. The label says it's a 110 volt, 60 Hz.,

1/4 Hp. , single phase machine. It runs well. Power to the motor is connected to a couple brushes that rub on rotor mounted slip rings. The slip rings are flat rather than cylindrical. The motor has a wound rotor with a centrifugal switch on board. This starting switch switches a winding on the rotor. The stator is made of laminated steel. The laminations are slotted. The slots are sorta keyhole shaped with the narrow part of the slot opening into the interior of the motor. The round part of each keyhole slot is filled with a metal rod that has been peened over like a rivet to keep it in place. The motor looks to me like a typical resistance start split phase single phase motor, but inside out. I wonder if the construction was used to avoid patent infringement. Anybody know anything about these motor types? Like what type it really is and maybe when it might have been made? Thanks, Eric
Reply to
etpm

You have an antique ( real old one ).

Slip phase wound rotor..

They made pholyphase motors also with wound rotors via slip rings. those you could tie a 3 pole rheostat to adjust the current in the rotor to control starting torque and tension or running speeds. Many times switched in R's for soft starting and then connect all three rings for full power once up there.

Jamie

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Greetings Jamie, Do you know if this type was made to avoid patent infringement? Any idea how to find out how old it is? I have been trying on the interwebs with little results. I'm hoping it was made in 1906 or before. Eric

Reply to
etpm