What's the output voltage of full wave rect?

A full-wave rectified 32vac voltage without filtering or smoothing components. Just a bridge rectifier connected across a transformer 32v secondary (no center taps) without a load connected to the output of the bridge.

What will my DMM read if it's in DCV mode when connected to this output?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

with no capacitors and a cheap average-reading DMM about 28V

Reply to
Jasen Betts

"Jasen Betts" DaveC

** So more expensive DMMs read *OTHER* than average values on their DC volts ranges??

Do tell.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
Funny! ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

If a good "True RMS" DMM is used, will the reading be different?

And can you help "teach me to fish" (show me the math)?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

2*sqrt(2)*32/3.14159265=28.8101221484

Integral from 0 to pi of Sin(theta)/pi = Average voltage of Sin(theta) = 2/pi therefore 1/sqrt(2) rms -> 2/pi therefore 1 -> 2*sqrt(2)/pi therefore 32 -> 2*sqrt(2)*32/pi

Reply to
richard

Howzit going, Phil?

A DC-coupled true RMS meter would read different from an averaging meter.

But in real life, diode leakage and capacitance and transformer inter-winding capacitance would probably result in an unpredictable reading.

John

"John Larkin"

** Dogs bark and cat go meow.

But a DC voltmeter is always average responding.

** I have a 4.5 digit meter with true RMS AC ranges (200kHz BW) that can be DC coupled - a very handy feature.

But one does not use it for the job the OP described without adding a load resistor, cos of the issues you mention.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison