What's the difference between 4 pin and 2 pin clock crystals?

I have a circuit requiring a 25MHz clock signal, all the components I can find are 4 pin 25Mhz crystals - how do these differ from the 2 pin crystals in my spec?

Dave

Reply to
Kasterborus

Links to what you have found and what you're looking for would help.

*Probably* what you're calling "4 pin crystals" are canned oscillators. These take in Vcc and ground and then output a clock signal. Using one relieves you of the need to match the load capacitors to the "bare" (2 pin) crystal. They also typically have enough drive capacity for additional clocked logic, if needed, where many microcontroller crystal oscillators may not. 4 pin oscillator
2 pin crystal
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

OK,

Here's the spec of what I'm looking at:

So are the two series caps performing the function you mentioned?

Reply to
Kasterborus

Yes. The whole assembly of [74AC04 + 1 Mohm + crystal + caps] is conceptually what's packaged inside of a canned (4-pin) oscillator.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

If you go with the four pin part you can dump the 74ac04, the 1M resistor, the Xtal and the two 15pf caps.

Just add power and ground and send the output to pin7 of the ir drive.

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

Reply to
ånønÿmøu§