What is the best / better Circuit simulation software to use

Hello,

    This problem has probably been debated quite a few times before, but
I would like to get your opinions. I am starting out in electronics, but
would like to know which piece of circuit simulation software I should
use.  I am familiar with SPICE, but entering the netlists by hand is
prone to error.  I have also used Electronics WB, LT spice (switcher
CAD), and PROTELL 99.  I don't mind spending a little bit of money, but
anything over 1K is out of the question, unless I can find a version or
free online.

What software do you think would be beneficial to invest money, and time
into learning

Thanks for any and all opinions.

-Regards
-Eric

Re: What is the best / better Circuit simulation software to use

Only time is necessary.  Get a copy of LTspice (SwitcherCad).

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/switchercad.jsp

It includes a very nice schematic editor and symbol maker.
There is also a very good Yahoo user's group dedicated to it.

John Popelish

Re: What is the best / better Circuit simulation software to use

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 00:51:10 -0400 in sci.electronics.basics, John

The only good Yahoo group is a dead Yahoo group.
That's what sci.electronics.cad is for.

Re: What is the best / better Circuit simulation software to use

---
What is it you find onerous about the LTspice user group?

As far as I can tell it's an excellent resource, is very well managed,
Re: What is the best / better Circuit simulation software to use

Yes.  "Lots" translates as almost 14,000 at the moment.

John Popelish

Re: What is the best / better Circuit simulation software to use

When it has the absolutely amazing Helmut Sennewald
at the helm, I might agree.

John Popelish

Re: What is the best / better Circuit simulation software to use

I like LTspice, and use it for almost everything. It is also useful for
posting schematics on newsgroups, using the ASCII file format.

I have also used Tina, which is available free on the www.ti.com website. I
also purchased a low end version for about $30. It has some cool features
like an interactive mode and clickable components such as switches, that
will cause LEDs to light, relays will change state, displays will indicate
digits and alphanumerics, etc. There is a bit of a learning curve, however,
and I have not used it much, but it's worth a try, especially for some
circuits.

Also check www.tina.com, www.designsoftware,com and www.edisonlab.com. They
have some nice products, including a PCB design package with 3-D views,
virtual instruments, etc.

Paul

Re: What is the best / better Circuit simulation software to use

Give a try to TINA, we use it and its work quite well!
Regards,
DenisLachapelle
www.sysacom.com

Site Timeline