Weight of electronic equipment

I'm importing some electronic parts/equipment (1kg worth) and wanted to compute a reasonable estimate of shipping costs - could someone weigh their parts and post the values.

What are the weights of various types of:

Through-hole components: diode, capacitor, inductors, transistor, ICs, crystal, LED, ferrite cores-beads, Potentiometers, Trimpots, Photodiodes/IR, microprocessors, piezo, presets, switches, optocouplers

SMD parts: 0805, 0603, 1205, crystal, heatsinks, LDR

LCD, LED panels, FR4 (with dimensions)

Arduino, breadboard strips, various sensors/modules (Hall, Gas, breakaway headers

BNC, Banana, Alligator clips, battery holders, batteries (CR2032, LiIo), stero jacks Drill bits, soldering bits, Soldering iron, solder, flux, multimeter DMM.

Reply to
Veek M

if the contact pins are gold coated, you must consider the addiotional weight of the precious metal. Gold is really very heavy.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

I did not ask the group *how* components are to be weighed - go bother someone else.

--

I don't want clever Hans ruining my question with his snarky remarks, ergo a explanation:

  1. I found a way to import almost directly from China through a freight forwarder (after a **lot** of hunting around and dealing with snarkiness). The freight rate is roughly USD 12/kg door-to-my-door.

  1. He only ships in 1-kg increments to me. Anything in excess is adjusted upwards (air-freight).

  2. I don't want to ask the shop in .cn to be kind and considerate because he might sell me junk and how is he to know what I want.

  1. I have a long list of parts that are available with prices so all i need is a rough approximate of the part-weight and I can then ask the shop to adjust a few grams this way or that.

But I have absolutely no idea how much stuff weighs..

If anyone wants to buy through me, at cost, let me know and we can exchange info.. I'm open to the idea, but I don't know about shipping from me to you (customs, lost pkgs, general patriotism, etc). Just don't give me grief about this.

These are the rates I'm buying at (just a randomish sample):

quality line electrolysis capacitor 50V 220UF 0.18

precision carbon film resistors 1W 5% 1 euro 100 3 yuan 3.00

precision chip resistors 0402 5% 10K 100?1.5 yuan 1.50 precision chip resistors 0402 5% 1K 100?1.5 yuan 1.50 precision chip resistors 0402 5% each of resistance 100 1.5 yuan 1.50

MAX485 module RS-485 module TTL to RS-485 module Crown Promotions Specials

1.50 GY-68 BMP180 new BOSCH Temperature Pressure sensor modules instead BMP085 5.60 A35 Infrared barrier module / avoidance car obstacle avoidance sensor / black and white line identification adjustable distance 2.20 TP4056 1A lithium battery rechargeable lithium battery charging module board battery charger Mini USB interface 1.10 0805 SMD resettable fuse / fuse PPTC MSMD0805-050 0.5A 6V 500MA 0.60 XD-210 XL6009 DC-DC Boost module adjustable ultra LM2577 voltage regulator module power module 4.00 GY-65 BMP085 digital pressure sensor module pressure altitude module pin modules deliver 25.00 small package Transistor Transistor S8050 TO92 0.05 A85 PAM8403 mini small 5V digital potentiometer with switch amplifier board USB-powered audio 3.00 NE555 NE555 DIP-8 time domestic circuit chip 0.15 XD-15A AT24C256 I2C Interface EEPROM memory module [factory outlets] 5.00 C28 adjustable 48V input step-down module DC-LM2596HVS 4.5-60v electric vehicle power supply 4.00 DC-DC step-down power module 3A adjustable buck module power supply ultra- small size ultra LM2596 2.10 B25 Arduino voltage detection module Voltage Sensor voltage sensor electronic building blocks 2.00 A78 485 converter USB to 485 USB to RS485 usb to serial port support Windows7 / 8 5.30 GY-30 Digital light intensity module light sensor module to send the code BH1750FVI 6.30

etc

Reply to
Veek M

For your advance I will refrain from snarkiness and help you with one thing. The NE555 chip (8pin DIP) weighs 0,485 grams. I personally checked that just now on my gold balance.

You must take into account that various different brands of 555 chips vary a little in weight, about + / - 0,1 gram tolerance is to be expected.

I seriously hope this helped you a lot.

See ya later, alligater.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

And don't overlook the packaging!

My last order of odds and sods from Farnell had every different chip in either a little box with conductive foam or a chip-tube, further contained in a bag. I reckon that doubled the shipping weight - possibly tripled.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sorry, no way is anyone going to weight all that stuff for you.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

  1. One person doesn't have to weigh *all* that stuff for me. Weigh what you can - there's plenty off time.
  2. I don't see why you should prejudice people *against* the idea vs keeping quiet. Let them decide for themselves what they want to do.
  3. No need to apologize either.
Reply to
Veek M

Hi!thanks Helmut :)

Yes it's been very helpful! I've a mental image of maybe 2000 NE-555's per shipment(1kg) at a cost of 160USD. Prior to your post i had no idea, so it has been enormously helpful! In my head i have some definitive number I know I should not exceed (roughly).

Reply to
Veek M

You could of course do your own work and weigh these things yourself.

Reply to
David Eather

It's hardly reasonable that you should use a free-ware product like: User- Agent: Opera Mail/1.0 (Win32) and in the very same breath tell me to do my own work. Stating that you didn't need to ask for it is disingenuous because someone did, hence the product/service.

I don't have *any* un-soldered components, or a balance that measures in the

0-50 gm scale; someone here might have it 10" from their left arm.

I don't see why you should impose your sense of morality as if that were a reference standard that could brook no question. The question is on topic - that should suffice for the NG.

Reply to
Veek M

Opera made more than 4 million dollars profit last year from people using it's mail and Internet clients - it is paid for by search engine placement and adds. Opera (and most others too) cannot sell a mail/Internet client as Micro$oft gives one away to try and dominate the market. So your comment is at best ignorant.

I've been on Usenet more than 15 years and your request is amongst the laziest I have ever seen. The only people with any sort of obligation for this is YOU or the possible SUPPLIER. Your post isn't off topic but is a ridiculous request, does someone still cut up you food for you? But most pertinent is the reply someone else has already made about accounting for the packaging materials and the supplier would be the best source of information.

Reply to
David Eather

ah! ty!

Reply to
Veek M

He's "crowdsourcing", hoping everyone here will do a bit of it, rather than one person doing it all.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Um, I think ABLE1 is referring to you.

Reply to
David Eather

From what I read, he would have to go to China to do that.

What I wonder is if there aren't spec sheets somewhere, at least for the discrete components that would give the weight.

Reply to
jurb6006

His whole story sounds like BS.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Maybe he is Dutch.

Reply to
etpm

LOL and the weight of this posting component is much less than 1 gram. When multiplied times all contributory posting the weight would still be less that 1 gram. Shipping charges would be a different matter.

Reply to
ABLE1

Kind off, also:

Reply to