Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

I have build a series load test light. eg. you plug a load in and it runs i
n series through a lamp, in case there is a short, the lamp takes up the lo
ad, so as to not blow a fuse. The lamp you use should be 3 x's the load. eg
 20 watt load should have a 60 watt bulb. this means that you really need a
 variety of lamps.

Once finished I realized that getting an incandescent light bulb is not so
easy since the government has restricted the manufacture and importation of
 them. They do still allow a few varieties. One such variety is Rough Servi
ce lamps. Im kinda wondering since I assume that a 40W rough service light
still uses 40w?  Since that's what is on the packaging. My understanding is
 that they have thicker filaments, which would draw more wattage. But I thi
nk this would just give off less light. I respect the engineers who put the
 data on the package so I assume that a 40w is still 40 watts. It would be
wrong to put anything else on the package.

Of course if I wanted a larger bulb 60w 100w 150w. I'm not sure what to use
. Maybe a flood light which I think are still available for 150w.

Finally, I wonder if I ordered incandescent lamps from Amazon, if they woul
d be stopped at the boarder ???

Thoughts ??

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
[...]

Why can't you find rgular bulbs? Anything considered a specialty bulb, whic
h is under 60 watts was excluded. It isn't that hard to still find 60Watt,
but the prices have gone up two about double. I still have a stash of them,
 and I'd bet that you have a friend or neighbor who has some they didn't th
row out.

Dollar Tree has 60W halogen and 4W ceiling fan lamps. The only 20W that I'v
e ever seen used odd bases. Grainger has several types, but all that I have
 seen were for fish tanks.

<https://www.grainger.com/search?searchBar=true&searchQuery20%W++light+
bulbs+incadescent>

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
I had not thought about Grainger for lamps. Thanks for that.

I did go to my local little hardware and they only had Service lights of 40
 Watts. I have not gone to a Big hardware as it is some distance. I will lo
ok there when I'm there next.

You mention halogen lamps, are they a resistive type light?? I didnt look a
t them cause, well they are more money and I didnt think they would work??

By the way here is in theory what the law is.

"Federal government banned the import and sale of 75- and 100-watt incandes
cent bulbs, effective 1 January 2014. On 1 January 2015, 40- and 60-watt bu
lbs were also banned. Retailers will be allowed to sell their existing inve
ntories imported before the bans."

Regards.

?
escent bulbs, effective 1 January 2014. On 1 January 2015, 40- and 60-watt
bulbs were also banned. Retailers will be allowed to sell their existing in
ventories imported before the bans."

Halogen lamps are incandescent lamps. The Halogen gas not only lets the fil
ament run hotter, it helps redeposit the evaporated tungsten on the filamen
t. This gives more Lumens per watt, and longer service life.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
I did not know that about Halogen. Thanks.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

I thought Trump relaxed that law.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
If its related to golf or Ukraine.
Then I sense its not done.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
Yup,
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49591143
+1 for DT

George H.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 14:55:57 -0800 (PST), George Herold

I think economics will win out in spite of Dog Turd's hazy
understanding of...  well... everything.

Personally I like the idea of their availability, I have an incubator
that uses them and they are damned handy when used as a ballast.
Resistance changes a factor of >10 from cold to hot.

Check this baby out:
https://www.passdiy.com/projects/images/content/zenlite_24.png

Full schematic:
https://www.passdiy.com/project/amplifiers/zen-variations-1

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
Right let the market decide.

Nice, I've seen these Zen amps before... (I'm a class A type of guy.)
 Is this meant as an active load to test amps and such?
(make sure the heatsink is big enough.)

George H.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 07:41:12 -0800 (PST), George Herold

My cuz was bequeathed this 6 family apartment house and like all
landlords was bitching and moaning about (among other things) the
tenants who'd leave the stairway lights on 24/7 (there were large
windows to let light in).

I got his electric bills out and showed him what the incandescent
bulbs were costing him (~$300/year versus LEDs <$40 a year) and nary a
peep (on that topic) again.  Hardly pays to have an electrician to
install a timer.

From what I gather, they are using the lamps as a current
regulator/resistor with no need for a heat sink.

In the ancient past, teletypes used purpose-built tungsten filament
bulbs as a current regulating ballast.  They'd glow dimly when in use.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
Oh I meant a heat sink for the FET.
I used them for AGC in a Wien bridge oscillator.  Good fun.
GH

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 14:54:09 -0800 (PST), George Herold

I'd seen the circuit for that and the implementation when I took apart
one of the audio oscillators we used in the Navy.

"Like the other HP oscillators, the HP200A is a Wien bridge
resistance-tuned audio oscillator using the light-bulb stabilized
negative feedback circuit designed by William Hewlett while doing
graduate work at Stanford. (Patent #2268872. Application filed in 1939
and granted in 1942)."

https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/HP200A.htm
https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/HP200C.htm

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

Yeah I found out about it in one of Jim William's articles.
fun stuff.
George H.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

The TS-382 series were military versions in transit cases. They had a vibration reed frequency meter to display 60 Hz and 400Hz. The insides were protected for Jungle use, and the one I have, (TS-382/F)has heat strips to drive moisture out of the cabinet.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

  I think you're right economics will win, and LED lighting will be the
way, Trump probably understands that, so let the people that have an

application where an incandescent is better use them. +1 for Trump.

in spite of Dog Turd's hazy

Everything? You aren't paying attention. The unemployment rate is 3.5%.
Manufacturing companies are coming back to the US. It looks like China
is getting pushed to at least less stealing and manipulation.
  Workers have had real raises to their income. More than 7 million
people have been lifted off of Food stamps. Small Business Optimism
Index at all time highs. More than 100 utility companies have announced
lower rates. Reauthorized more than $1 billion for career education
programs.
Women?s unemployment rate recently reached its lowest rate in 65 years.
  Also, minorities have lowest Unemployment rates in dozens of years.
Trump has improved our Military readiness, GDP growth has been
fantastic. The Census Bureau?s Current Population Survey?s income
inequality measure declined in 2018. Trump's policy have started a Blue
collar boom. Trump policies have slowed illegal immigration.
  These are just a few of the great things Trump has done for the
country. The list could go on for pages, your term 'everything' is just
a symptom of Trump derangement syndrome.
Just think what could have been done if the democrats and media weren't
on a hatefest with impeachment. If they had worked for the American
people instead of focus on eliminating Trump. But then, their hate for
Trump takes precedent over working to improve American lives.

                                     Mikek

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

Oh yeah I was impressed with the GDP growth.  Until I discovered that
due to Trump's trade wars. he's now having to subsidize farming
(probably agribusiness since small farms are still failing) to the
tune of 28 billion dollars or. in other words, exactly what the GDP
growth was for the same period!  AND that is over twice what it cost
to bail out auto makers!

He's taking credit for the low unemployment figures - yet the low
unemployment is seasonal right around Xmas.

The 1%'ers are well off too.  Corporate taxes were halved.

AND
"An in-depth analysis of Fortune 500 companies' financial filings
finds that at least 60 of the nation's biggest corporations didn't pay
a dime in federal income taxes in 2018 on a collective $79 billion in
profits, the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy said today."

Coal miners are suffering?  Of course they are, it is far cheaper to
pay one drag-line operator to do the work of 5,000 miners. and way
cheaper to use natural gas for power generation.

The thing you and other brain-dead bozos of your ilk don't understand
is that the economic policies of one president aren't felt until the
administration has been out of office for decades.

The financial crisis of 07-08?  were largely the result of Ronald
Wilson Reagan's deregulation policies (further abetted by Bush the
Lesser and Bill, I never had sex with that woman, Clinton).

Trump is a cult.  Trump followers are easily manipulated.  It is no
wonder that "evangelicals" like trump, they pride themselves on their
lack of analytical thinking.  Nothing must shake their "faith."

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

  You tell me, is there any other better to time get the Chinese to
shape up? Why would you expect it to be costless?

  These are not just Christmas numbers!

  Oh, so you hate the rich. But it is not only the rich that are doing
well, the low end is also doing much better.

  >Corporate taxes were halved.

Oh that's good, competition will force those corporate savings on the
both of us and all Americans.

  So either they pay their workers more, lower their prices or their
stock price goes up. All those are good things.

What do you want?  I think that is progress, no more buggy whip makers.
Probably better to get the miners out of the mines anyway, but it is an
employment problem and Trump seems to want to do less harm to the coal
miners than the rest of the democratic candidates.

  I admit that we should control our debt and deficit, I also know that
the larger the economy the smaller the percentage the dept and deficit
become.

Ya, there should have been some additional regulations on the banks and
financial institutions.
  But then regs have their downside. Like when the Obamacare regs
started in 2012, I had a standard BCBS family Health Insurance Policy,
It went up 18.2%, 19.4% and 24% the next three years. That was not
inflation, that was government inflicted policies that caused the increases.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

Nothing we do has much influence with the Chinese.  The Chinese
"problem" is entirely in Trump's addled brain(?).

No?  We'll know soon enough won't we?

This happens every year.

There's another factor at work during the Xmas season.  A lot of
people take vacation or days without pay etc., so production dips,
while airlines see a bump in profits. That also reverses right after
Xmas.

I'm in the top 3%.

Yup, adjusted for inflation, wages are up point six percent, while the
consumer price index is up ~2%.   wages up but prices are up more

If you just look at one statistic, things are definitely rosy.  In the
real world, there's always more at play than a single statistic.

That's like Dog Turd telling the treasury to "just print more money,"
to reduce the national debt.  Something Bozo Boy actually did.

And this anecdote is even more precious:
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/406085-trumps-plan-to-help-eliminate-federal-debt-was-to-print-money
Gary Cohn, the now-former top economic adviser, told Trump that the
Federal Reserve was likely to increase rates during his first term in
office, in an excerpt first reported by Business Insider.

debt works.
**********
There are children with a better understanding of finance than that.

You haven't factored in human greed.
I'd settle for honesty.

Trump is telling us "We are putting coal miners back to work."  The
coal industry hasn't seen any growth in spite of gutting EPA
regulations.  International market forces have more sway than domestic
consumption.

Progress affects us all.  No industry is immune.  Even in engineering
- what once took understanding and lots of work, is simulated in a
computer program.  Some of the new crop of grads have no grounding in
fundamentals, "there's an app for that."

I shouldn't talk, I was happy to ditch my slide rule for a calculator.
(although I still had to do square roots on the slide rule until they
caught up)

AND if you are still in the "us versus them" mind-set, you haven't
figured out that the system is broken and all politicians are crooks.
A career politician is only there to get re-elected, he only
represents himself and his career.

Us versus them, is just another way of saying, divide and conquer.

There were a whole series of banking regulations that were instituted
during the 1930's depression.  Removing them saw profits soar or a
bubble form (depending on how tethered to reality one is)

Unfettered capitalism results in price fixing by a few large companies
and monopoly corporations or consortiums.

Greed is a good individual survival trait, but it can be very harmful
to large civilizations.

Re: Wattage of rough service incandecent bulbs ??

  Look here at how the unemployment rate has had a steady drop since 2017.

Income or assets?

If indeed wages are up point 6 percent 'ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION' then the
2% price index is irrelevant.
  But, I admit, that is lower than I expected. I think you should also
add in the decrease in taxes paid as additional income.

  Yes, the only increase my admittedly short search found was W. Virginia
where jobs increased 12.7% during 2017 and 2018. The problem, coal is
fighting the low cost of natural gas because of the increase in fracking.

Site Timeline