Wanted: A 'joule thief' style circuit design...

... that I can use to drain alkaline cells and push the 'charge' into either a lithium-Ion cell (for a flashlight), a phone or a powerbank.

I have a combined wireless doorbell - inside/outside thermometer that I quite like. Unfortunately it won't run on NiMH cells and only uses alkalines down to 1.33v. (It's the only thing I have that doesn't run on rechargeable cells.)

The sender uses AAA cells and the receiver uses AA cells and I buy good quality (expensive) cells to get the longest run-time between changes (as it's a PITA to re-pair them and re-set the clock in the receiver too often). I though of converting the receiver to run on a single 14500 Li-Ion cell (AA size) and a buck regulator or even a wall-wart but that still doesn't solve the issue of the sender.

I dislike throwing good quality alkalines away when they still have ~65% of their capacity remaining but have had enough leak-disasters to not want to put already semi-discharged cells in remote controllers etc. where they then get forgotten about until things stop working. (I've never had an Eneloop leak and they run my remotes for about 3 years between charges.)

So I'd like to make a gizmo that takes a single alkaline and pushes out ~5v through a USB cable for as long as the cell has juice, preferably at a reasonable current. I have a few different pre-made boost modules from the usual suspects but when I tested one the output voltage curve dropped with the input so that it wasn't very successful.

If anyone has any ideas for something I can put together with a bit of veroboard or similar I'm all ears. I'm tired of having loads of half-used cells sitting around but don't want to just chuck them away. I've thought of this before but it's fresh in my mind as I've just bought a 32-pack of each size cell and they cost quite a chuck of change.

TIA.

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

default

If there is room for two AA cells in the sender why not substitute a lithium pouch cell and a regulator? Then you could charge the pouch cell while in the sender and never worry again about pairing the devices? Eric

Reply to
etpm

Brilliant! Thanks.

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

The sender uses two AAA cells and is very tightly packaged. Also it's waterproof as it's outside in the elements so I don't want to mess with it too much.

Cheers,

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

these are cheap and will do it

how often do you need an unreliable portable USB charger? the cost to run that thing will not be much less than the cost to run a plug-in usb charger, but the hassle will be greater.

It seems like a waste of time to use batteries, even free batteries, where mains power is available.

can you run a wire to power the door button?

maybe you can find some device to run off the partly used batteries, a portable radio perhaps.

Jasen Betts

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 15:07:18 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote as underneath :

Trouble is that the boost circuit takes a proportion of the available battery power to run, so trade off calculation required! See:

Charlie+

Yep. My plan probably isn't worth how much I'd 'save' by not mains-charging whatever I use this for. However I dislike waste, especially energy waste.

I'm probably better to just get a flashlight that uses 2/4 AA/AAA cells and use them up that way.

I remember over a decade ago I had a cell phone (not a smart phone) that had an alternate battery cover / adapter that took 3 x AA cells (and had a bulge in it that made the phone a bit bigger). It was designed more as an 'emergency solution' to not having a charged battery than a day-to-day option.

Anything would be better than having a drawer half-full of 65% good AA / AAA cells...

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

I've actually already got some of those in my 'module collection'.

True.

Yeah, it's more the principle and not liking waste.

Not easily - and I rent so I don't want to go drilling holes in walls etc.

Radio? I haven't used one of those in years! However you're right, I think I'll use them in a flashlight or something that I *do* use. ;) Now I need to decide if buying a new flashlight (when I have several perfectly fine 18650-powered flashlights) works out better than wasting alkaline cells.

Cheers,

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

My bad, just checked and I don't have those. I have some of these and at first glance I thought they were the same thing. I really need to 'index' my module collection.

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

I just ordered 5 of these They're cheap enough and claim a higher efficiency than the one you linked. If I don't use them for this 'project' they will likely be useful down the track sometime. I can put them in my collection. ;)

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

SEPIC

WIKI has a page on it that isn't too bad.

Reply to
jurb6006

3 AAAs are smaller than an 18650 and the voltage is about right. you can get adaptors.

On the other hand the torch may work just fine off a single cell, I've got mostly AA/14500 torches here, they have some sort of buck/boost device.

Jasen Betts

It's bad design if it requires 1.33V; either bypass the battery terminals with a capacitor (that'll lower the impedance, if it's a logic-glitch that makes it malfunction) or consider using three cells in series (if it works on 3V, it should be OK for 4.5... maybe). A redesign of the circuit might be in order, except it's a consumer-grade package with cryptic labels and 'instructions'.

Gluing it into a bigger waterproof box isn't too hard.

Reply to
whit3rd

You need a batteriser!

--