volume control for clock

Hello, I have an electronic quartz clock with chimes that needs a volume control. It has a 2 1/4 speaker and is way too loud for the room it is in. Is there any place that makes a inline volume control that I might be able to use to adjust this so it wouldn't be so loud. Please reply to the group. Thanks, Marty

Reply to
Socrates

Place a variable resistor in parallel with the speaker and adjust until you get a reasonable volume. You can then replace the variable resistor with a fix resistor of similar value.

Reply to
Lord Garth

If it's merely a clock, chanced are good that it's a piezoelectric transducer, ie quite high impedance. So he may need to start with quite a high value of resistor.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

He said 2.25" speaker so maybe not!

Reply to
Lord Garth

He did, I missed that.

It seems odd though, because in a straight alarm clock (as opposed to a clock radio) all the ones I've looked at use a piezoelectric transducer.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

--
Not a good idea since the driver may be overloaded by the lower
impedance of the speaker-resistor combination.

A better way would be be to keep the load impedance constant while
attenuating the input to the speaker, like this: (View in Courier)

VOUT>----[R1]--+-----+
               |     |
              [R2]  [ZL]
               |     |

where:

     R1 + (R2||ZL) = ZL

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I'd agree, it seem that only clock radios still use a speaker for the alarm. I do like John's approach to balance the load impedance however. This is an L pad.

Reply to
Lord Garth